Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Framerates in games regardless of graphics settings.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HaloSmyth

HaloSmyth

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:44 PM

Having issues with my computer playing graphically intense games. Changing settings doesn't significantly improve framerate. For example in FarCry 5 (which my pc meets the specs for) I ran the benchmark on high, medium and low settings.

High - ~19fps
Medium - ~22fps
Low - ~24fps

I can play older games at 30fps no problem for example oblivion is stable at 30fps.

What is weird to me is that it seems like changing settings should result in more than 2 extra fps.

I figure either my processor or my video card are creating a bottleneck or there is something else weird going on.

I did notice that hardwaremonitor says TMPIN5 is running 120 degrees Celsius but I look around online and a lot of people have the same issue with TMPIN5 on hardware monitor and some people seem to think it's a flaw in the software.

I know this is probably a hardware problem but I just don't know what piece of hardware needs to be replaced. Any advice on how to troubleshoot and help me figure out what the problem is would be much appreciated.

Here are my computer specs:
MSI x99A sli plus (MS-7885)
Intel i7 6800
Radeon X570
32 gb of ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:27 PM

what are your system resources doing?  cpu gpu and disk?

open task manager then hit performance button.  and see what windows is reporting.

if any of them are maxed then it will greatly reduce fps.

are you running windows 7 or 10?

my system was maxing out on the disc all the time, turns out windows 10 diagnostic reporting re-enabled itself and was slamming my disc access all the time (i did not enable this in the original install). i disabled it and got a lot better results.

task manager performance tab is always a good place to start.

#3 HaloSmyth

HaloSmyth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:02 PM

task manager shows my gpu usually goes up to 100% when framerate drops. I think I figured out the video card can't handle multiple monitors and a graphics intensive AAA game. I might just buy another one to second up my second monitor so I can have a second while I am gaming.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:01 AM

that's a spec you should have told us in the beginning (Dual Monitors)..........

would have give a more specific starting point.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:41 AM

Assume the graphics card is supposed to say Radeon RX 570?  What monitors do you have, what resolution are you using, and how are they connected?  30 fps seems a weirdly low number to me.  With older games, with my ageing R9 270 card I can get FPS reported at over 100.  But then I'm using a couple of 1080p monitors.  If you had say, a low refresh rate (30 hz) 4K mode selected, and you are running with v-sync enabled, then that might explain it to some extent.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 HaloSmyth

HaloSmyth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:58 PM

I only have 2 1080p monitors hooked up to it. Which should be half the 4k max of the card.

that's a spec you should have told us in the beginning (Dual Monitors)..........

would have give a more specific starting point.

yup, I know that now. I learned something

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users