Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 laptop fan won't run

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 floydfan

floydfan

• Validating
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:48 AM

Hello,  I have a dell latitude win 7 laptop that the fan appears to have quit working correctly. The laptop appears to get hot and shut down on it’s own, and the fan never kicks in until the moment it shuts down.  I have run diagnostic on the laptop and the fan passed the test, and it will spin when you when you manually shut the laptop down.  I am just wondering if anyone can help me confirm if this is a driver issue or if I need to buy a new fan.

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 30 April 2018 - 12:42 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,446 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:38 PM

it should be taken apart and cleaned out,

if you are unable to do that you can get a can of compressed air and try to blow the dust out with that

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:21 AM

What is the specific model of this latitude?

Have you made any changes in the BIOS which would effect the control of the fan?

Have you updated the BIOS?

Can you hear the fan running after it is started?  You should be able to hear the fan through the exhaust vent.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 floydfan

floydfan
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

Thank you very much for your replies.

I have tried to clean the fan by way of the canned air, but haven’t taken laptop apart yet for full cleaning. No change.

It is a Dell Latitude e5540, I went to the dell support site and tried to update drivers but did not update the BIOS, I was afraid it would over heat and shut down in the middle of the BIOS update.

Cannot hear fan running, so I took the back off and no, the fan never runs until the moment of shut down.

I have installed Speccy, ran it, and saved as a bookmark the link it gave me just in time for the laptop to shut down again.  Unfortunately, it will be tomoro before I can work on it more.  I will post the link in the morning when I fire it back up.

Thanks so much for your help  

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

The fan on this laptop has a connector which could possibly be loose.  Getting to this fan and its connector may be more than you are willing to go through.  There are ribbon connectors that are very fragile and will break if they are mistreated.  So you can see just what all is entailed I added a video to see the whole process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 floydfan

floydfan
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:01 AM

I am curious about the remote ip addresses at the bottom of the list. Are these internal addresses? Sorry for asking such a stupid question,  just trying to be careful about posting info publicly.  ;)

I am also making a mental note to add ‘ease of maintenance’ to the check list when shopping for the next laptop.  Good grief!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:28 AM

I am curious about the remote ip addresses at the bottom of the list. Are these internal addresses?

Where exactly are you seeing this list?

#8 floydfan

floydfan
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:15 AM

I looked at the list of specs before I post the link, and at the bottom of the list are some specs with remote addresses. Here is a small example:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Dell Unified Wireless Suite\Wcct.exe (3088)

Local XXX.0.0.1:49: 

ESTABLISHED Remote XXX.0.0.1:XXXX (Querying... )

Local XXX.0.0.1:49: 

ESTABLISHED Remote XXX.0.0.1:XXXX (Querying... )

Edited by floydfan, 02 May 2018 - 10:17 AM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:19 AM

You still have not told me what generated this list, was this in the Speccy?

Mentioning Speccy, you have yet to post the Speccy as I requested in post #3.

#10 floydfan

floydfan
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:29 AM

Sorry, yes, this is from the Speccy list.  I just now found an article that says it’s safe to post the info publicly. Can’t be too careful these days, ya know?

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/kAOwlGm0kxvKlWq4xL8GrAQ

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:08 PM

My time currently is not my own.  I have to visit my wife in the hospital as often as I can, at least until I can get her home.  I will try to get back to you this afternoon.  I didn't see anythings particularly out of line in the Speccy.

#12 floydfan

floydfan
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:35 PM

Sorry to hear your wife is in the hospital. That's ok on the timing, may be a few days before I can tackle this issue again. Thanks for your help.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:44 AM

Also, after getting the internal fan fixed, I recommend adding a usb-powered external cooling fan assembly (one giant fan or twin fans).  That will certainly help keep the temp of the proc and/or HD down.  Even my Acer laptops' internal fans work, I still have each laptop with its own cooling assembly.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:48 AM

Well - what is a part number/example/links of a usb-powered external cooling fan assembly you would recommend for Acer laptops?

It's like saying "I recommend Chinese food" and not giving the name of a good Chinese restaurant.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

Well - what is a part number/example/links of a usb-powered external cooling fan assembly you would recommend for Acer laptops?  

It's like saying "I recommend Chinese food" and not giving the name of a good Chinese restaurant.

Good point!  Because I buy my stuff from Altex Electronics in Austin TX, I did not know if my unit is available in your area.

Ebay and Amazon are good choices; do you have something like a Fry's Electronics or BestBuy in your area?

A decent one should only run $15-20; one friend of mine got a used but very good one from Goodwill (or was it Salvation Army?).

https://aluratek.com/products -- https://aluratek.com/slim-usb-laptop-cooling-pad-black-580

Edited by RolandJS, 04 May 2018 - 09:58 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users