Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible solution to those Bugcheck error 0x0116 and VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Tsarkyyy

Tsarkyyy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:22 AM

All credit goes to jojesa on tomshardware.co.uk for helping me troubleshooting these issues
TL;DR: Do you use an old HDMI cable and have the same problems as described in title, try using a new HDMI cable!
Easily overlooked if u ask me

Past month i've have had issues where my computer hangs while playing games, in which i had to manually reboot.
In particular, when i try and play warframe on a certain mission, where i could replicate this error within 5-10 min.

All I got in eventvwr was "Kernel 41" errors

"The critical error 41 means that the PC has rebooted or lost power without cleanly shutting down first."
In which it means it could be anything

Managed to get those minidumps and i got this :

Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF9600A0D9C4A0, 0xFFFFF80C1F15F818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0326037.inf_amd64_6cad8aeb5717c52d\B326079\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed. 
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.). 
Google query: atikmpag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

The bug check error 0x00000116 refers to corrupted drivers or an issue with graphics device and that appears to be the issue with your computer.

The GPU might be busy processing something (a game, 3D render, etc...) and it stop refreshing the screen.
The OS will wait (a set time) to refresh the GPU, the system instruct the driver not to access the hardware or memory and
if the GPU cannot be refreshed within the set time then you get the BSOD.

So, disable any overclocking on the system, GPU or GPU software.

Check that all power connections are firmly in place and that the GPU is fully inserted and secured.

Also check that no foreign materials are laying or touching the video card.

Many thins could cause this, like defective memory modules and motherboards, programs running in the background, memory configuration and timings, GPU overheating, 

As you can see, this could STILL be anything wrong with my computer mostly directing to my GPU
So I followed the instructions by the letter, reseated GPU and strapping some loose cable with zip-ties.
And voila, I was able to properly play video games again.

I thanked jojesa for all his kind help, i had faith in my computer again

UNTIL.....

During weekends i can play for long hours with games like
- 7 Days to Die (zombie survival crafting game)
- Destiny 2 (no matter the backlash of D2, i haven't properly played a fps on a computer with 60 fps in a loooong time)
But.. guess what... my computer hangs AGAIN! 

I searched around for different solutions and found something very unlikely and easy to miss while troubleshooting.

It was my bloody HDMI Cable!

All my hardware is about over 1 year old, but i still use an old 21,5" LCD Monitor with some old HDMI cable laying around and that have been connected to other devices.

If you've been like me, using old HDMI Cable on a (fairly) new computer. Try changing it with a new one.

I've been playing 7 Days to Die and recently Conan Exiles for hours on end, no crashes/hangs at all.
I'm cherishing my computer a lot these days, thanking for not crashing on me after a long session lol.

So today i thought i should share this here for those who seek help with same issues i was having.
These errors are like a needle in a haystack
And if u ask me, a culprit like a HDMI cable is easily overlooked!

If this helped u as well, share us on this thead down below ^_^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users