Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did my hard drive fail?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ihatemywackasslaptop

Ihatemywackasslaptop

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:12 PM

I made a post earlier confused about the errors my laptop has been showing, but I think maybe after some research Ive figured out that my hard drive may be failing.

My laptop worked fine this morning. Later, when drawing using a drawing tablet, I noticed that the sensitivity of the pen stopped working. I restarted my laptop to fix this, and when it booted back up, the audio on my laptop had suddenly stopped working. After looking for solutions to fix my audio and failing, the laptop began to show more problems. The laptop began to be laggy and slow and would freeze often. Now, it cant even boot up past the LENOVO logo screen. All of this started from one small problem and now 5 hours later, my entire laptop isnt working. Is there something wrong with my hard drive? If not, what does this issue sound like it could be? Tomorrow is the start of finals week and id really like to have my laptop working for it. thanks if you can help me figure this out a bit more 💞💞

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:58 PM

To determine if your drive has failed you need access to another computer so as to download 'Seatools for DOS' from the Seagate web-site. I wish I could give you exact instructions on how to find your way to the download, but search for 'Seatools for DOS' and you will find it. I am in France at the moment and the local wifi will not allow me to access anything other the Seagate's French web-site. My French works but it is not up to dealing with that !

You need to download the ISO file then either burn it to a CD using either File Explorer or ImgBurn or, using 'Rufus' (https://rufus.akeo.ie/) to create a USB installer whichever is more useful.

Seatools for DOS is a self-booting program. Either connect your USB or insert the CD and power up the laptop and it will boot from the disc. NOTE You may need to go into the BIOS to make either the CD drive or USB first in boot prority.

Once you have it up and running, run the SHORT test. If it fails this then your drive is dead and we are looking at data recovery. If it passes, then run the LONG test. If it goes all the way to the end you will get a report about any problems with your drive. If it goes so far and stops with an error message, then your drive is almost certainly dead.

You mention 'finals week', so I assume there is data on this computer which is needed, and fairly fast. In that case, go to -

https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=246

and download Mint (again you will need access to another computer) and it too comes as an ISO file and this needs either a DVD or a 4GB USB drive. Boot the coomputer using Mint, just do NOT at any point select 'Install', just let it run through to the desktop. This means it is running entirely in RAM and not usingn your hard drive. Once it is running you will be able to use its file manager to see if there is recoverable data on the disk and, if there is, to copy it to external media. Just notethat it is a peculiarity of the Linux systems that I have used to need one instance of the file manager open for each drive you are looking at, a slight difference from Windows.

A note on your topics. You had another topic open on this computer which I have closed and referred anybody interested to this topic.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users