Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update Shananigans ... Again! (Downloaded But Not Installed)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:32 PM

Windows 10 Home Desktop (x64)
LENOVO 90BG003JUS Lenovo H50-55
AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7
ST2000DM001-1ER164 [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB)
11212 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Every-time an update is rolled out I have major problems!

The last time it took me six months of searching, posting to forums and finagling to straighten it all out!
(The last update messed up my display settings)

This time is different but I fear .. it is going to be another six month adventure!

If you can see the following screen shots clearly then you can see that I have a problem!?

You'll notice the Awaiting Restart in the second screenshot?
I have tried restarting the computer (As it claims is needed) which accomplishes absolutely nothing!

That Awaiting Restart stays there and I am convinced that it is only there to "Drive Me Nuts"!
(I finally learned my lesson after the 8th or 9th 'restart!')

I've tried just about every tool known to help with these types of problems without success.
Any help will be much appreciated!

Should I delete all of these 'updates' and start anew?
(Will that help?)

I also receive this message when I run the troubleshooter which says that it (the troubleshooter) can't fix it ...

Potential Windows Update Database error detected

Downloaded Updates:

UPDATE.jpg

UPDATE222.jpg

==================================

I just ran the windows update assistant.
My understanding is that if you have the latest update and it is running ...  the tool will say "Thank You" and show no other updates?

Does that only mean that the update has been successfully downloaded but not necessarily installed?

I ask because as you can see in my screenshot below that I got the "Thank You" from the assistant but my update page still shows the "awaiting restart" to install update!?

I am totally confused??

Assistant Result

2018-04-29_14_39_05.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:16 PM

I'll give the same advice I offered someone else with Windows Update problems earlier this afternoon.

Try the following (this presumes you are on an account that has admin privileges and can open an elevated Command Prompt):

1.  Open Command Prompt with Admin privileges.

2.  Enter the commands below one at the time (pressing Enter after each and waiting for each to complete before doing the next):

• net stop wuauserv

• ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download DL.bak

• net start wuauserv

• wuauclt.exe /updatenow

The last command should trigger a Windows Update and, with any luck, will catch you up with the latest cumulative update.

If things look good afterward, you can optionally also enter:  del %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\DL.bak

Note:  You can copy and paste each command above individually if you do not wish to type them out.

If the above does not work I would seriously consider using the technique for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file once Version 1803 is released and has had at least a week, preferably at least a month, before doing so.  But if the issue you're having is driving you insane you might just bite the bullet an do it ASAP, but expect the "bleeding edge" problems that characterize most new feature updates, at least for some subset of users.  [I don't know how I haven't been so plagued when one of my machines is in a very early feature update cohort, but so far, I haven't.  Now the jinx is on for 1803!]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 29 April 2018 - 11:32 PM

Hi Brian, the:- 

"wuauclt.exe /updatenow"  has been deprecated in windows ten and no longer functions, you can still use the command prompt, however you need to run a powershell cmd for this to work, in cmd prompt run:- (exactly as you see it here)

PowerShell.exe (New-Object -ComObject Microsoft.Update.AutoUpdate).DetectNow()

However this whole subject is really a mess, MS need to educate professionals how to handle update issues, as windows as a service continues to roll out. This will not fix an update problem with corrupted manifests, the only way is to use the dism cmd and this involves loading a registry hive as an essential registry setting needs to be deleted, followed by selecting the correct downloaded package then using the dism cmd to remove it. All this must be done in the RE.

A lot of the problems are caused by users losing access to the winsxs file (access denied), the update manifest is loaded into winsxs file, and if windows cannot access it, no dice on the update, also causes sfc /scannow to return windows cannot run the resource protection on this machine, type error messages.

The biggest cause of this is third party AV's, yet despite all the warnings many people still use them. You can fix this:-

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. At the prompt copy and paste this cmd:-

takeown /f C:\windows\winsxs (press enter)

It will return a message that the file or folder is now owned by "YOUR USER NAME".

Next still in the cmd prompt, use the user name returned in the above cmd in this cmd:-

icacls c:\windows\winsxs /grant yourusername:f (Press enter, note, if your name is truncated enclose it in ") 

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:42 AM

The problem being that Microsoft uniformly doesn't educate professionals, or anyone, about "the common errors."

The closest they ever come to this is on the answers.microsoft.com forums and, even there, the amount of conflicting information is huge.

I've also learned that "deprecated" and "will not function" are most often not one and the same [and I'm not trying to argue your point about this specific command, either.]  I cannot count the number of things that have been deprecated [Win7 Backup and Restore, for instance] that just keep on hanging around and hanging around.

It also seems that the number of possible issues with Windows Update is endless.  When it works it works perfectly and when it doesn't figuring out why it doesn't is a nightmare.  This is one of the reasons that if I've determined that someone is behind at least one feature update from current I always propose using the ISO update method.  That seems to solve any number of issues, and not just with Windows Update, in one fell swoop on most occasions.

Someone had ought to tell Microsoft that they need to add the "Keep apps and files" option to a standard Reset, too.  Preferably yesterday.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:19 PM

I really appreciate all of your responses.

Problem is, I'm a simple man and my eyes glaze over when talking about cmd prompts, dism and iso remedies.

That, I know is not your problem, it's mine.

I am afraid of some of these solutions because usually, it will be me who doesn't completely understand what I am doing and will mess up something else.

I like the software one click solutions but I've tried them all with no success! 8(

I will try what has been suggested .. as soon as I get the nerve!

Thank You

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:31 PM

Hi Brian I tend to agree with you, although it is easy to test if a deprecated cmd works or not, if you run the cmd, " wuauclt.exe /updatenow" and then open PC settings "update and security" you will see the time the last update check was made, it should respond to running the cmd, it does not, if you run the powershell cmd it does.

Windows as a service should include a dedicated MS updates fix site, manned by MS experts who can walk people through this, the fix for MrClose is probably a bridge too far, I have attached it.

Attached Files

#7 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:37 PM

Seems like a lot of folks are having this problem?
I'm giving up!

What's funny is that at one time I was searching for a way to stop automatic updates.

I discovered that you can't stop the updates on the home edition computers!
(Only on the pro and enterprise editions)

Looks like Microsoft has done for us what we couldn't do ourselves!;)

Edited by MrClose, 01 May 2018 - 03:38 PM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:55 PM

Well, if you think it's an advantage to:

• Be repeatedly put through cycle after cycle after cycle of failed update (and for a feature update or cumulative update, you absolutely will)

• Go out of support after approximately 18 months of a feature update release

then you can consider this a feature, not a bug.  As for myself, when this sort of thing occurs it strongly suggests some sort of corruption (and not necessarily from a virus or malware of any kind) in the OS.  I don't like having those and will immediately take steps to update using the method documented in Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.

I'd certainly be doing that if I were you after version 1803 has had about a month to get past the "teething" stage.

~ Mark Twain

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:37 PM

....and.......MrClose.......just to add to what you already have on your plate.....

Consider Linux 

Update problems are almost non existent (if they do, we have a program called timeshift (similar to system restore)...only it works )

This would be quite a learning curve for you.....however there are some brilliant people here to help you

The simplest approach ?....."burn" a linux iso to a usb drive (thumb drive, pen drive)....change the boot order on your current pc......boot to the usb drive.....and take linux for a test drive. It does not load onto your hard drive (it actually uses your ram to run in ), and can do no harm to your current setup . When you exit from your 'test drive', your pc is exactly as you left it. (full of win 10 problems :hysterical:)

I noted you said  " Problem is, I'm a simple man and my eyes glaze over when talking about cmd prompts, dism and iso remedies"

Give it some thought.

Linux Mint 18.3 is the most common and easiest to use.

I made the change from win 10 to Linux Mint just after win 10 was released.....and have never been happier. Life is simple again.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:14 PM

....and.......MrClose.......just to add to what you already have on your plate.....

Consider Linux 

Update problems are almost non existent (if they do, we have a program called timeshift (similar to system restore)...only it works )

This would be quite a learning curve for you.....however there are some brilliant people here to help you

The simplest approach ?....."burn" a linux iso to a usb drive (thumb drive, pen drive)....change the boot order on your current pc......boot to the usb drive.....and take linux for a test drive. It does not load onto your hard drive (it actually uses your ram to run in ), and can do no harm to your current setup . When you exit from your 'test drive', your pc is exactly as you left it. (full of win 10 problems :hysterical:)

I noted you said  " Problem is, I'm a simple man and my eyes glaze over when talking about cmd prompts, dism and iso remedies"

Give it some thought.

Linux Mint 18.3 is the most common and easiest to use.

I made the change from win 10 to Linux Mint just after win 10 was released.....and have never been happier. Life is simple again.

Thank You.

Many moons ago I tried (linux) and got confused and frustrated.

(Yes, I said I was a simple man but 'simpleton'  might be a better description) :lmao:

I think that I'll revisit the os because I'm having no luck with Windows!

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:38 PM

A sensible read ....is HERE

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

A sensible read ....is HERE

Thank You!

I like the site and it has renewed my interest in Linux.

(still lots of studying to be done)

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:44 PM

Try not to over do the study angle....'burn' an iso to a usb, and take it for a spin. You have nothing to lose, everything to gain. It is impossible to break anything.

If you were to screw up the os on the usb......just pull the usb out....wipe it....and do it again.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:05 PM

Try not to over do the study angle....'burn' an iso to a usb, and take it for a spin. You have nothing to lose, everything to gain. It is impossible to break anything.

I absolutely agree with this.  That's one of the longstanding beauties of virtually every Linux distro I'm familiar with:  the ability to use it as a self-contained portable OS using only optical media [for those of us old enough to "remember" the days when CD/DVD were kings] or bootable USB media.

You get a far better sense for what an OS is like, and whether or not you like it's default UI, by just playing with it.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users