Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop slow + freezing, audio not working, errors after restarting laptop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ihatemywackasslaptop

Ihatemywackasslaptop

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 04:48 PM

So basically I restarted my laptop and while it was booting back up it said something like to cancel ______, press any key in (5) seconds so I tapped a key ofc and the laptop kinda just froze so after like 5 minutes I powered it off and on again,

This time it booted up fine but the audio suddenly wasnt working. Theres a red X over the volume icon, and when I hover over it, it says something along the lines of speaker/headphone not plugged in. At that time I just tried online solutions to that problem in particular but no luck, so I decided id just try and restore my laptop to a previous point. There was a restore point made yesterday, so I clicked on it and waited for my laptop to restore. It reset, and when it booted back up, it said that the recovery had failed and that it could be due to a corrupted something (?) it said to run chkdsk so I did, and went to try and restore it again, but the restore points have magically vanished.

Now my laptop is running very slow. It freezes constantly, though the pointer is still able to move across the screen fine, and Im getting multiple errors when trying to click on things. Its really irritating and I would be forever in your debt if youd help me understand whats wrong with my laptop and help me solve the issue.

If nothing works, Ill factory reset my laptop just to see if itd fix it. But thats like my last resort

Anyways please help me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 29 April 2018 - 05:13 PM

Are you certain you have no earlier restore points?   It is not unusual for a given restore point to fail while others will work.

There should be a checkbox at the bottom left of the System Restore screen that shows the latest restore point(s) [which may be blank] that reads "Show more restore points."  Make sure it's checked and you're almost certain to have older restore points.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Ihatemywackasslaptop

Ihatemywackasslaptop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 05:33 PM

Are you certain you have no earlier restore points?   It is not unusual for a given restore point to fail while others will work.

There should be a checkbox at the bottom left of the System Restore screen that shows the latest restore point(s) [which may be blank] that reads "Show more restore points."  Make sure it's checked and you're almost certain to have older restore points.

Im fairly certain I dont have any more restore points. There were 2 other restore points when I restored for the first time, and when I checked later, it said I had none at all. Idk what happened to them. :-(

Edited by Ihatemywackasslaptop, 29 April 2018 - 05:34 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:36 PM

Did you follow my instructions?   You will not know if any additional ones exist unless you check that checkbox.  It's that simple.  If they're not there then they're not there.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Ihatemywackasslaptop

Ihatemywackasslaptop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:41 PM

Did you follow my instructions?   You will not know if any additional ones exist unless you check that checkbox.  It's that simple.  If they're not there then they're not there.

I see. I would now, but my laptop has gone from being slow and laggy to not even being able to boot up past the Lenovo logo screen. It seems that its just getting worse and worse as the hours go by and I really dont understand what went wrong.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:59 AM

The OP has started a new topic on the subject of a possibly failed hard drive. Because of that this topic is now closed and any follow up should take place here -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/676628/did-my-hard-drive-fail/

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users