Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions on Creating Backup Laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Fortran7

Fortran7

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 29 April 2018 - 02:59 PM

I have a Lenovo E545 which I've had for a couple of years and have quite a few applications on it (under Windows 7 Pro). I acquired an identical laptop and would like to make it a backup to my original. I'm thinking that if I clone the HD and put the clone in the backup, that will transfer all my apps and I would have a basically identical machine however, I'm questioning the licensing issues. I will never be using both machines at any given time (99% of the time it would be my original), and I will be the only user of either machine. I assume that Windows will detect the different machines and not work on the backup. I'm not intending this as a violation of the license.

Second to that first question, I have a second Windows 7 Pro license and would intend to use that on the second machine, but how would I transfer (install) that license once I clone the HD of the original. I would like to avoid reloading all the applications under a new Windows install since there are a lot and I have specific settings in each.

Members' thoughts??? Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 29 April 2018 - 05:42 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:55 AM

One thought is to simply make full images of Laptop 1's OS and Data partitions onto Laptop 2 on a bi-monthly if not on a weekly basis.  Such can be made using any one or two of a number of free and fee backup / restore programs, to name just a few: EaseUS, AOMEI, Macrium Reflect, Image for Windows / BootIt Bare Metal.  Then, you can use your second Windows on Laptop 2.

Edited by RolandJS, 30 April 2018 - 08:58 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:12 AM

Not that I did it in exactly the manner you're describing, but the overall concept was the same.

I once had a Win7 laptop that had a hardware failure (not the disk drive) and I ended up buying another one off of eBay that did work, but came without a HDD drive in it.  All I had to do was to take the HDD out of machine one and pop it in to machine two and I was ready to go.

You are not violating licensing agreements provided you are not using your "machine two" at the same time as machine one.

What you propose to do is doable since Win7 licensing isn't associated with the piece of hardware that it's being run by, at least not the same way as it's now done for both Win8/8.1 and Win10.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 Fortran7

Fortran7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:53 AM

Thanks to both RolandJS and britechguy.

Unfortunately, I don't have partitions on my original machine, just the main C drive so imaging the OS and data wouldn't be too practical, however, britechguy's answer works for me.

I thought the Windows OS was linked to a machine's BIOS code and wouldn't move to another machine, so my cloning process might not work, but being Windows 7 doesn't care, I'll just clone my 1TB drive to a second and pop it in the backup machine, and periodically (like once a year) reclone it. It should be identical to my primary machine (other than changes between clonings), and be an instant backup should the primary fail or get a virus.

I don't plan on migrating to a higher Windows until I have to (hate the newer versions) so as long as Windows 7 will allow me that option, it works perfect for my needs.

Thanks again guys.

Edited by Fortran7, 30 April 2018 - 09:57 AM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:06 AM

Fortran7,

Were I you:

1. I would not keep the drive being cloned in the second laptop between clonings and would clone far more often than once per year if you have any significant "activity" going on that generates new user data that you wouldn't want to lose.
  2. You need to start planning for the transition to Windows 10.  January 2020 is not very far away, and given the ubiquity of the Windows 7 OS you can be sure that when security patches stop being issued there will be a huge cadre of hackers that will be targeting Win7 for several years, knowing that there will be those who simply won't let go.

I went from Win7 to Win10 and it can be a very comfortable transition if one simply takes the time at the outset to customize the Win10 Privacy settings and the overall Windows environment to one's personal liking.

My "interaction style" with Windows 10 is pretty much precisely the same as it was with Windows 7.   I don't use Cortana (and never have), don't have a touch screen device, and the "look and feel" is set to be about as close as one can come to the old Aero days as one can get in a "flat look" UI [which is all the rage these days, and not just with Microsoft, and which I dislike.]

Edited by britechguy, 30 April 2018 - 01:24 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:16 AM

"once a year" I also second the motion about making a clone more than once a year - once a month at least.

Edited by RolandJS, 01 May 2018 - 09:01 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 Fortran7

Fortran7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:29 PM

Fortran7,

Were I you:

• I would not keep the drive being cloned in the second laptop between clonings and would clone far more often than once per year if you have any significant "activity" going on that generates new user data that you wouldn't want to lose.
Ideally, I would do as you suggest. I probably will have to adopt a regular archiving process but in reality, I often put off these things more than I should - buyer beware I know, but I hear you.

You need to start planning for the transition to Windows 10. January 2020 is not very far away, and given the ubiquity of the Windows 7 OS you can be sure that when security patches stop being issues there will be a huge cadre of hackers that will be targeting Win7 for several years, knowing that there will be those who simply won't let go.

I probably would move to Win 10 but I have some fears of my legacy software (some dating back to 2000 which does run under Win 7) not working on Win 10 - that and some peripheral compatibility worries (printer etc.). I hope you can allay my fears there. In any case I might be back in touch when that time comes - you have some great advice. Too bad Microsoft hasn't figured out they can make money if they would provide continued subscription support for Win 7. Alas, time and "progress" moves on to newer things.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions guys - they didn't go unheard.

Edited by Fortran7, 30 April 2018 - 01:33 PM.

#8 JDawes

JDawes

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:37 PM

I would find yourself good software that can be installed on the original laptop and just schedule a weekly clone to the second laptop's drive via esata or dock.  I never go more than a week without running an image backup, unless it is a system with set function that does not have many changes in the OS, apps or data.

If you decided that you wanted to start using the second laptop as well, you could always go in and change the Windows product key to use the second one you have via system properties.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users