Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Discussion : Webcams under Linux...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

Afternoon, boys & girls.

Now then; I have to admit to a genuine curiosity here. For quite a while, I've been running a Microsoft (sorry for swearing!) LifeCam HD-3000. The main reason I bought this was because of one thing, and one thing only.....because it's UVC-compliant. This means it's supported by the USB Video Class driver under the Linux kernel (and, hence, is literally plug'n'play. You plug it in, switch on summat like Cheese or GuvcView, and it just 'works'.)

This was an 'upgrade' from an HP HD2300. That went on the old Dell lappie.

--------------------------------------------

These are both lower mid-range cams, in price and performance. Now, I've used Logitech keyboards and mice for a long while. They're darn good quality, reasonably-priced (not cheapo, but not 'silly' money, either), and Logitech have a pretty good rep for reliability, especially towards the top end of the range. With them, you do get what you pay for.

For a long time I've been eyeing up the Logitech c920 HD Pro USB webcam, and trying to justify its price to myself! Depending on availability, and suppliers, this can run anywhere from low 50's up to nearly £100 GBP here in the UK.

I had a wee windfall yesterday, on the UK lottery, so.....I decided it was time to treat myself to the object of my desires. Our local branch of PC World had just dropped it down from £69.99 to £52.99.....very close to the cheapest I've ever found it online.

So I popped down this morning, and grabbed one before they all went.

The difference in picture quality with this thing is absolutely astonishing. Full HD @ 1080p, 15 mP still capture capability; stereo mike recording, auto-focus.....even auto-correction for low-light environments. The picture is razor-sharp, and crystal-clear.....as you would expect from a top-notch Carl Zeiss auto-focus lens. It even has a built-in standard screw-fit tripod connector on the underside, as used by most better-quality cameras.

And the best bit is, you plug it in.....and it just 'works'.  :)

I'm curious to know from others here as to their own experiences with web-cams under Linux, whether built-in or USB like mine. Did it just 'work'? Did you have to jump through hoops to get things up-and-running? Did you just give up on it as a bad job?

Let's hear your own experiences, please.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 29 April 2018 - 01:25 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,340 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:21 PM

I have actually had pretty good success with webcams and Linux from no name brands to Logitech

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 02:15 PM

TBH, it's still as much 'pot luck' as it is anything else.

Reading the UVC compatibility list, okay; there's a fair chunk of models from from the big brand names. But surprisingly, there's also a good smattering of Far Eastern, no-name 'cheapos'. It's the same situation as it is with wireless dongles; all down to the chipset in use.

Most of the Far Eastern jobs have weird chipsets, with drivers written exclusively for Windoze, of course. But just some of them use old tried & trusted chipsets that have been around for some time.....and as we all know, the longer a piece of hardware has been around, the more likelihood there is of the kernel supporting it.

I'm interested in webcams because they, like wireless gear, are almost a standard fitment now.....and I'm intrigued to find out just how many people have had success with them under Linux, given that the UVC-driver list is growing literally day-by-day.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,109 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 03:02 PM

I once tried an old webcam using Linux on my desktop pc, and as far as I recall it was plug and play.

I just checked the built-in camera on my laptop using Kubuntu 18.04, and it works just fine too.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,340 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 29 April 2018 - 03:03 PM

Well like anything under linux you dont know what will work until you try it, but webcams have been something improving in linux as of late

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users