Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

...monitor Fails To Function Properly (maybe Coz Of Graphics Card)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HyBriD54

HyBriD54

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:30 AM

:thumbsup: :huh: B)

Ok, here's the story...

1. Hardware difficulties
2. Send to Dell
3. Returned from Dell
4. Use computer, everything fine
5. Open up Warcraft III
6. Play for 5 minutes
7. OMGWTF Monitor effectively "turns off"

The Monitor suddenly *goes blank* as in everything on the screen is black. I notice that light next to the power button on the monitor is flashing. That SHOULD mean that the computer is off and the monitor is on. However, my computer is on yet my monitor acts as if the computer is off. Interesting thing is... I notice the sound loops when the monitor "crashes". I came to a conclusion that it isn't a monitor problem, perhaps a graphics card problem. I avoid playing Warcraft III for a while, and I figure perhaps playing it may cause problems. After some testing however... It turns some other games like Counter-Strike cause this problem too. And some videos (just not that much) also cause that problem.

I need information from people who know what the problem is. Any help will by appreciated!! :huh:

P.S. Urgh, I really am a Computer Noob. I have no idea what graphics card I have. If the software is installed properly, then I have RADEON X300 Series. Any way to find out my other computer hardware apart from checking the manual when I bought the computer (because for some mystic reason, it disappeared) will help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:50 AM

Here is a link to a program that will give you the specs on your computer.:
http://www.gtopala.com/

Probably the simplest way to test your monitor would be to plug it in to a different computer or plug a different monitor into your computer. Though, like you I suspect it is not a monitor problem. If the computer is still under warranty I would not do anything with the graphics card.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 HyBriD54

HyBriD54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:08 AM

Thanks for a fast reply! I just tested it on my brother's computer and it worked perfectly. I used his LCD screen and it pooped as well on my computer.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:30 AM

What model Dell do you have?

#5 HyBriD54

HyBriD54
  • Topic Starter

• Members