Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to merge all partitions into one?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wzfoto

wzfoto

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:26 PM

On windows 8, what is the process to merge all partitions in the attached photos, into C:, without re-installing/setting up (assume D: only contains data)?

Attached Files

• Attached File  hd.JPG   75.98KB   1 downloads

Edited by wzfoto, 28 April 2018 - 11:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:39 PM

Why do want to merge them , there is no point in doing so.

Everything is as it should be , C:\ - D\ and Recovery Partitions.

What are you trying to gain ? Space ? ...you have 75% Free on both partitions C - D.

The 8Gig Recovery partition can be merged to either C or D , but then you would not have a Backup Plan to Factory Reset.

#3 wzfoto

wzfoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:54 AM

The recovery partitions indicate they are 100% free, so I assume nothing is inside.

Yes I would like to have a single partition for easier file organization - I plan to copy a large set of data over in the future.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:48 AM

Those Partitions are a Part of Windows System UEFI and Recovery you cannot remove or Merge them , if you did the PC would not Boot.

As i said before you can Delete the 8Gig Recovery Partiton { OEM } but be 100% sure you dont want it , if you do I would at least Create an Image of your C:\

Overall the most you will gain is 9 GIG .....why bother.

You said ! - I would like to have a single partition for easier file organization ?

Well within Explorer you would only see the C:\ and D:\  anyway.

I have the same Partitioning , C:\  = Operating System  ..... D:\ =  Data.

I wouldnt load up the C:\ Drive with excessive Data , but thats up to you , i run mine at 35G out of 80G.

If you want more space on the D:\ Drive , then you can take some from the C:\ Drive.

#5 wzfoto

wzfoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

I m planning to merge C: and D: together, but sounds like it is not possible?

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:37 AM

You can Merge C and D , but the D Drive Data would have to be Offloaded to an External Drive first , otherwise you can only take the free space currently on it.

Then you can add the Data back later to the C Drive in your preferred Location.

Personally i wouldnt Merge but thats your choice.. , if you only have one Partition { C } Windows and Data , and something becomes corrupt or goes pear shaped , you will ? or could ?  lose everything.

My Drive on Laptop / Samsung Evo - 500 SSD.

I just have D:\ Drive to store any Data , then i offload it externally / weekly and then clear it.

And i keep my C:\ Drive Windows 7 as lean as possible { No Data } just the Operating System , Programs , Updated and = 35Gig , then i take an Image Monthly and that takes about 15 min to do

The More you have on C:\ Drive ,  the bigger the Backups take to do , eg: 300G - 500G....2-3 hrs. { If you do them }..

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:02 AM

The recovery partitions indicate they are 100% free, so I assume nothing is inside...

Just a friendly reminder, those special partitions do not show up within Windows explorer.exe.  Only 3rd party partition/folder/file managers such as Acronis Disk Director to name just one of many utilities will show, albeit most only show it partially, the contents of those non-empty partitions.

Edited by RolandJS, 30 April 2018 - 09:02 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users