Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Coffee on Laptop - Dead Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hardadsl

hardadsl

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:06 PM

For the first time I've spilled liquid on my Laptop, specifically coffee. I was aware that turning it off ASAP was mandatory, but backing it up was more important then, so I kept it on.

The keyboard started to act crazy, getting worse little by little, so some keys started to produce "042", or other crazy stuff, and then I've got things like "mmmmmmmmmmmmm" without pressing anything. To simply copy files to an external HD became little by little ridiculously difficult in that situation.

Well, eventually I was able to finish all the back-up and rebooted. Then, the keyboard returned different, now completely dead (funny because it was working crazy before, with keys starting to die, but it returned dead).

Now I am using a USB keyboard and everything is apparently working (besides the keyboard).

I would like to ask if there is any possible salvation to the Keyboard. Also, it's been a little more than 12 hours since the accident. Maybe I've dropped 1 US fluid ounce, and my guess is that liquid inside must have dried by now. So far, only the keyboard was affected. So I would like also to ask if whatever damage that was to happen already happened, or should I be prepared for more damage to come in the next days?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:03 PM

If the amount of fluid was that little it's very likely that the damage that's done is all that will be done.

There is likely no salvation for the keyboard.  Depending on the laptop you might be able to replace just the keyboard itself or may need to do a "top cover" replacement where that top cover is the bezel, keyboard, and mousepad as a unit.

Had you turned the machine off immediately and turned it with the keyboard "upside down" you might have saved the keyboard, but that's a very iffy "might."  It also matter, and a lot, whether we're talking black coffee versus with cream and/or sugar.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:27 PM

If the amount of fluid was that little it's very likely that the damage that's done is all that will be done.

There is likely no salvation for the keyboard.  Depending on the laptop you might be able to replace just the keyboard itself or may need to do a "top cover" replacement where that top cover is the bezel, keyboard, and mousepad as a unit.

Had you turned the machine off immediately and turned it with the keyboard "upside down" you might have saved the keyboard, but that's a very iffy "might."  It also matter, and a lot, whether we're talking black coffee versus with cream and/or sugar.

As far as I know... laptops do not like black, cream or sugar coffee no matter which way. Very very bad juju for laptops with any type of liquid

#4 hardadsl

hardadsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 04:42 AM

Thank you guys! It was black coffee with no sugar, anyway. It was hot.

I've been a careful owner all my life, of that kind that gets a little upset with scratches...

Edited by hardadsl, 29 April 2018 - 04:43 AM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,247 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 04:21 PM

As far as I know... laptops do not like black, cream or sugar coffee no matter which way. Very very bad juju for laptops with any type of liquid

It's never good to spill on any computer.  That goes without saying.

A tablespoon of water on a laptop keyboard will do no damage if you let it dry out entirely unless it makes it further inside to something it can damage.  I've seen tiny bits of "non-sticky" liquids not damage much of anything, either.  As soon as any sugar enters the picture, or dairy, both of which dry "sticky" you're in an entirely different area.  On a desktop keyboard you can "hose it down" when the spill is fresh and allow it to dry thoroughly before reconnecting it and it will likely work just fine (heaven knows we did this in the computer lab at my college on more than one occasion).  But you can't "hose down" a laptop keyboard without taking it out, and by the time one generally gets it out the liquid is already dried, which complicates matters immensely.

I don't recommend spilling anything in to a computer, be it laptop or desktop.  I also wouldn't lose my mind if a bit of water hits a keyboard, either.  My laptop has survived a very minor water spill (from melted ice in a glass formerly containing a diet soft drink) on the keyboard (and it was completely unintended).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 hardadsl

hardadsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:27 PM

Thank you for the help, folks!

Well, I was able to find the internal keyboard for my Samsung NP550P5C laptop, buy it and have it replace it by a technician near home. It is working now. But a new problem has appeared (please advise if I should open a whole new thread).

Now the screen has a lot of black stains (I count seven). I don't know if it was after the service, or it was there since the day the hot coffee spilled on the laptop. The screen was terribly dusty when I handed the laptop to the technician, and he returned it to me today in a very clean state.

The spots look brown/dark/yellow, they could be dry coffee, but I can't find a way to make them disappear, just as if they were inside the screen. I don't know if they are dead pixels. I suppose not, because I can see the stains even with the Laptop turned off!!!!

2018-05-23%2017.53.10_zpsxpqhw10i.jpg​

2018-05-23%2017.53.26_zpsukcxch2c.jpg​

2018-05-23%2017.58.11_zpsqycbajqp.jpg​

Is there any solution besides replacing the screen as well? The original part seems to be expensive and hard to find... I don't know if a generic replacement is possible.

Edited by hardadsl, 23 May 2018 - 05:27 PM.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:10 PM

I don't think the keyboard was the only thing that got wet.   I've done quite a few clean ups like this and find that complete dis-assembly is required as ALL boards and connectors need to be cleaned.  Liquid gets everywhere and the fault on the screen could be a short on the connector for the display or some moisture on the main board underneath the keyboard.

#8 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:01 AM

If you can see these stains even with the laptop turned off then the stains must be physically in or on the screen assembly- they are not due to a connection or electronic fault.

I assume you have tried cleaning the surface of the screen?

Edited by rqt, 24 May 2018 - 03:02 AM.

#9 hardadsl

hardadsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:10 PM

Yes, I've tried to clean it. Absolutely no success... But I have notice I can make the stains to "walk" if I put some pressure on them. I was able to turn a few completely black points into translucent brown/yellow. Yet, in other cases, it got worse. In case damage happened during servicing, wonder what might have happened.

#10 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:41 PM

It kinda looks like you got some type of water vapor behind that screen, Try placing it in a very dry location (large bag of rice?) with it opened for a couple days to see if there are any differences, if not your best choice might be a new screen

https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users