Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Installation got wasted

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jericho941F

Jericho941F

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 02:30 PM

Hello people !

After a power failure that my UPS failed to work, my PC started BSOD's in random times. After 2-3 days, the BSOD's became more frequent, until the moment that I got a BSOD almost right after logging in with "CRITICAL PROCESS DIED".

Tried SFC and DISM, with DISM showing an error about ill-formed data.

Tried chkdsk /f, then SFC and DISM again, tried to reinstall all programs that I was getting errors in Windows Reporting, got rid of NOD32 - it's installation was not working properly, and the computer somehow recovered, only one BSOD per day or so.

Until... a tornado of repeated BSODs and now it won't boot at all. BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO. System repair at boot fails as well.\\

Tried booting from Windows 10 USB to use sfc and DISM, but still get the message about ill-formed data.

Also tried to put the RegBack files in place of the normal ones but that did not help.

Any ides ? Can it be saved or I have to go for a clean install ?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PossumNZ

PossumNZ

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 03:18 PM

Hi, Personally and I am no expert with Windows OS, what would do is backup any data you want saved to an external source and go for a fresh reinstall of Windows. 

If after the methods you have to tired my opinion would be a fresh install before more problems develop with your computer. 

Looks like your UPS may need an assessment also. 

Good luck

#3 Jericho941F

Jericho941F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 29 April 2018 - 05:45 AM

Thanks for answering.

Now I am stuck in an infinite bootloop with system startup repair that keeps failing and then only option is reboot.

Any help ?

P.S : Yeah, I m gonna replace batteries on that UPS.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:25 AM

I think at this point you would be better off recovering your data and doing a clean install per the below guide.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users