Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fried motherboard, upgrading computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 02:22 PM

So I accidentally killed my motherboard whilst cleaning my computer  :(

Two of the screws are stuck as the standoffs are spinning with them, I've already read forums and tutorials on how to get them out - dont bother telling me again, I can't reach them. Besides I could kinda use a new case anyways, and the one I've found is really cool.

Real quick - this is my old build:

Case: Corsair Carbide 100R

PSU: Energon EPS-750W

MB: ASUS B150M-A

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600

VC: MSI Geforce GTX 960 2gb

SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb

RAM: Corsair DDR4-2133 2x8gb

Obviously I'm replacing my case and motherboard, but also a few other things:

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark Tempered Glass

MB: MSI B250M Gaming Pro   or   ASUS ROG STRIX Z270F GAMING

CPU-C: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED

PSU: Corsair VS650

LED: NZXT Sleeved LED 2m orange kit

I'm also looking to put in some more fans, any suggestions? And how should they be oriented?

I'm also not sure what motherboard I need, you may find a totally different one or suggest a CPU-upgrade.

I have made a budget of 650 USD to upgrade for - but that amount is flexible, I can put in a bit more if needed.

Thanks for your help!

-AntonRahbek

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:22 PM

As you have quite a lot of budget, I'd suggest a better quality PSU.  The Corsair VS series is not 80+ certified, which means it's probably quite an old design.  It's not been reviewed by any reputable PSU reviewers.  As you're spending the money, might as well get something decent for only a little extra.  Sticking with relatively low cost options, I'd take a look at the Corsair CX550M or the BeQuiet Pure Power 10 500wPure Power 10 Review hereCX650M review here (from the same series as the 550M).  These will be more efficient, so cooler running and quieter, and they also come with decent warranties (5 years and 3 years respectively).  You could get away with a 350-400w PSU on that system, as it's not power hungry, but 500-ish gives more headroom and doesn't cost much extra.

The case comes with 2 x 120mm fans.  1 front intake, one rear exhaust.  You might want to buy an extra Fractal front fan the same model as already fitted.  I would leave it at that personally.  Any more will just make more noise for no real benefit.

For motherboard, you are looking at a basic MSI micro ATX board, or an Asus full ATX Z270 board which costs twice as much.  With your current CPU, there's no real need to spend the extra because it is multiplier locked.  You can't overclock it essentially, so the extra features of the Asus board will be somewhat redundant. Between the two there are boards like the B250 Strix F which has the looks and most features of the Z270 board but for less money.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 03:23 AM

Thanks for your suggestions jonuk76!

I've gone ahead and went with the BeQuiet Pure Power 10 500w PSU,

ASUS Strix B250F & another case fan.

I'm just wondering wether I should get two more fans, another one for intake and one for top-exhaust. This will keep a positive pressure inside the case, and get even better airflow - isn't it worth investing in a pack of the more fans? Also, if I do add an exhaust fan at the top, should I remove the dust-filter - it would just make it harder for the fan to blow dust out, right? 

Edited by AntonRahbek, 29 April 2018 - 09:30 AM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:50 AM

If you want to fit extra fans then feel free.  I just don't think they are strictly necessary in a build like this (non overclocked, single mid power video card, no array of HDD's blocking airflow etc. etc.).  The top part of the case I would think is mainly intended to give an option for radiator installation, so yes if you are going to fit exhaust fans there instead it would be sensible to remove the dust filter.  You want a dust filter for any intake fan but not for exhaust fans as they just impede airflow and help trap the dust inside  :)   To help optimise airflow, make sure to take advantage of the cases cable management features by routing cables behind the motherboard tray where possible.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:10 AM

Okay, thanks for the quick answer :)

Just one more question; will I need a new Windows-license?

To sum up the changes:

New case - thus also new fans

New motherboard

New Power Supply

Added HDD (Seagate Barracuda 1tb)

Added LED-strip

Removed DVD-Writer

I could imagine this being too many changes for Windows to consider the same PC - but I don't know where they draw the line.

Thanks!

-AntonRahbek

Edited by AntonRahbek, 29 April 2018 - 10:10 AM.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

The motherboard is the issue.  The other changes are not significant.  If you have retail Windows, then it's perfectly fine - as long as you're only using it on one computer at a time you can freely transfer...  If you have an OEM (system builders license) version of Windows, then you *may* need another copy.  I would say as you are replacing a faulty motherboard, and a like for like motherboard replacement is not available, then it's at MS's discretion whether they will allow it.  FWIW I've moved a system builders copy of Windows 7 from one computer to another (due also to changing motherboard) and it re-activated fine online, didn't even have to call.  Windows 10 *might* be a bit different as I think it may be a bit more tied to hardware ID's.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 29 April 2018 - 04:29 PM

As for anything else well you may wish to skip on the cooler, as badly mocked the intel stock coolers are they can still serve the job especially on non overclocking parts.

Sure it doesnt look as pretty but I dont have too many issues using the stock intel cooler, you just need some thermal grease and you will be fine.

The meshify C should give you plenty of airflow only invest in a high powered cooler if your temps are too high.

Edited by MadmanRB, 29 April 2018 - 04:30 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:39 AM

Since LGA1151v1 is already obsolete socket* and it's not recommended to buy new motherboard for obsolete socket unless CPU is very expensive, I recommend newer CPU too. Sell that i5-6600 and get Ryzen R5 2600 instead + AM4 motherboard.

*LGA1151v1 is replaced by LGA1151v2

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

Meh if the processor works then its fine, sure the socket is obsolete but if something works then let them use it.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:06 PM

That's why buying newer motherboard is very advisable. LGA1151v1 motherboard availability will be quite bad in the future and it has no upgrade paths for CPU.

AM4 is good for at least 2020 (and that's just when there won't be new CPU's for it), LGA1151v1 is already EOL.

Generally for Intel (if buying new), it's not advisable to buy anything else than newest socket. I don't consider this case an exception.

#11 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:42 PM

As for anything else well you may wish to skip on the cooler, as badly mocked the intel stock coolers are they can still serve the job especially on non overclocking parts.

Sure it doesnt look as pretty but I dont have too many issues using the stock intel cooler, you just need some thermal grease and you will be fine.

I've used oem Intel stock coolers and never had any cooling issues using them they work fine. :thumbup2:

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#12 AntonRahbek

AntonRahbek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:53 PM

I've used oem Intel stock coolers and never had any cooling issues using them they work fine. :thumbup2:
My Cooler before the upgrade was also a stock cooler, but I’m upgrading it now for aesthetics, noise and overclock-potential on a future CPU.

Edited by AntonRahbek, 30 April 2018 - 05:01 PM.

#13 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:54 PM

My Cooler before the opgrade was also a stock cooler, but I’m upgrading it now for aesthetics, noise and overclock-potential on a future CPU.

:cool: 

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users