Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it safe to select boot mode as "Legacy" for erasing hard drive using DBAN?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smarty301

smarty301

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:09 AM

Hi,

I am trying to secure erase my hard drive (1 TB) containing Endless OS 3 on my Acer laptop. Afterwards, I plan to install Windows 10 on my hard drive.

I have made a bootable USB (FAT32) using Rufus which has the software DBAN for erasing the hard drive. DBAN: https://dban.org/

At first, I inserted the bootable USB in a USB port and accessed the BIOS setup of my laptop. I went to the tab "Boot" but there was no option of selecting USB in the Boot Priority Order. The boot mode was UEFI and Secure boot was enabled.

Some more details:

In the "Main" tab in the BIOS setup, the values are:

GPT Partition Recovery --> [None]

Clear GPT Partition --> [None]

GPT Partition Record --> No Record

I used the software MobaLiveCD to check if the USB is bootable. I had success in verifying that the USB is bootable using MobaLiveCD.

After searching a lot on the internet, I read somewhere that I would have to change the BIOS mode to Legacy. After changing the boot mode to Legacy, the USB is visible in the Boot Priority Order.

But, as far as I know UEFI boot mode is recommended since it is more secure.

So the question, Is it safe to select boot mode as "Legacy" for erasing hard drive using DBAN? Will there be a problem of not being able to select UEFI again?

Edited by smarty301, 28 April 2018 - 12:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:19 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3taee4/issues_with_uefilegacy_boot_after_using_dban/

More Info.

Louis

#3 smarty301

smarty301
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:49 PM

Thanks hamluis for the lightning quick reply.

As recommended in the above link, should I recreate a bootable USB via Rufus by selecting the option "MBR partition scheme for UEFI" under Partition scheme and target scheme type?

I am selecting "MBR partition scheme for UEFI" instead of "GPT partition scheme for UEFI" since in the opening post I have mentioned that there is no record of GPT Partition.

Attached File  zzzRufus.jpg   29.19KB   0 downloads

Earlier, I had selected the option "MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI" when creating the bootable USB.

I read this link: https://superuser.com/questions/1170486/how-to-install-dban-dariks-boot-and-nuke-on-an-usb-flash-drive-larger-than-4g

from the More Info. link given by you.

Here is an excerpt from the above link:-

Step 6.1: In the boot order section, select the boot mode to be "Legacy" (it may be "BIOS" on your screen). This is the culprit that made my last attempt in the question fail. Apparently DBAN cannot be booted properly from UEFI.

So maybe, DBAN can only be run in legacy boot mode.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 29 April 2018 - 06:55 AM

I can't answer your questions re DBAN or Rufus...I have never used either.  The documentation for these programs whould be guidance endough for any user, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users