Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus removal help, Mac OS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 syncronitron

syncronitron

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:42 AM

I already posted this but was suggested to repost by an admin.

Mod Edit:  See https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/676276/undetectable-virus/ .

Operating system: macOS version 10.13.4

On 4/9/2018 I received an email from a potential employer that contained an attachment. Thinking it was a document related to employment, I opened it. It was just a pdf document that was unrelated to anything employment related. 

I replied to the email asking why I was sent the document and I was told that the account was hacked and to not open the document. Obviously it was too late. I attempted to locate the pdf but it was no where to be found. I installed kaspersky internet security and ran a quick scan and a full scan both scans came up empty handed. I then installed malwarebytes and its scan failed to find anything as well. 

I inquired for help on a facebook page and I was told I may have a fully undetectable trojan. The link I clicked in the email which opened the pdf file is no longer active.

It was then suggested to inquire for help here. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 28 April 2018 - 11:50 AM.
Moved from AII to Mac OS - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 05:34 PM

Reformat, then do a fresh install of OS X. If you have a Time Machine backup prior to opening the pdf file you can transfer your data, otherwise you'll lose all your data.

#3 crosssection

crosssection

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:29 PM

Reformat, then do a fresh install of OS X. If you have a Time Machine backup prior to opening the pdf file you can transfer your data, otherwise you'll lose all your data.

Thank you for this suggestion. Mine is infected as well. Everytime I open Safari or Chrome, it automatically opens another tab.

#4 iiSplitzii

iiSplitzii

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:30 PM

Hello, I do not recommend formatting your system if you are infected on a Mac unless its your last resort. If you would like assistance, please either let us know.

#5 grupaul

grupaul

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:15 AM

Hello, I do not recommend formatting your system if you are infected on a Mac unless its your last resort. If you would like assistance, please either let us know.

What to do then? I also have a similar problem with a virus on Mac

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:41 AM

I will just get a virus remover.

I like bitdefender as a free client

https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/virus-scanner-for-mac.html