Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8 Reformat

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DreadTech

DreadTech

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:02 AM

Hello,

I have an HP 6305 that i'm trying to set back to factory settings. I have the recovery disks from HP to re-install Win 8. I have tried to reinstall on the existing hard drive and a brand new drive and after step one this is the error message i get. If i try Win 7 it works just fine. Any ideas?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:13 AM

Your recovery disks are probably corrupted. Use the Media Creation Tool on a Windows 7 or later computer. If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 or 8.1 the license key is embedded in firmware. You may need to install HP drivers after the install as the MCT will not have all the HP bloatware.

Follow the below guide if installing on the existing drive. It's for Windows 10 but the steps are the same for 8 other than the MCT used. For a computer with Windows 8 pre-installed you will use the convert gpt command in the guide. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users