Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My budget is $500, Should I get a laptop or desktop?Are any of these laptopgood?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jessbelow

jessbelow

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:50 PM

Hello, I'm currently using a $200 laptop from pawn shop I bought two months ago. The speed of this is pretty good not fast and not slow. I'm thinking of buying a new laptop, I'll use for everyday use only and zero gaming. I just want it for social media, doing surveys, watching videos, running multiple tabs, and downloading a couple program/software. Are any of these laptop I found online researching perfect for my needs and will it be faster than my current laptop? Plus the one I'm currently using has a horrible display and only four hours or less of batteries. 

This is my laptop I'm typing in: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/8495700

This is one of the laptops I'm considering to buy from bestbuy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i3-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-jet-black-woven-texture-pattern/6090904.p?skuId=6090904

Laptops I found from staples: https://www.staples.com/HP-17-bs061st-17-3-Laptop-Computer-7th-Generation-Intel-Core-i3-1TB-SATA-HD-8GB-DDR4-Windows-10-Intel-HD-Graphics-520/product_2721077 ,  https://www.staples.com/Dell-i3567-3465BLK-15-6-Laptop-Computer-Intel-i3-128GB-SSD-8GB-DDR4-Win-10-Intel-HD-graphics-620/product_2677755

Will any of these be perfect for everyday home use, better than my current laptop or Am I better getting a desktop? Where is the best place to buy a cheap fast everyday computer?  Amazon, Bestbuy, Staples or other store? Thanks in advanced.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:42 AM

One you already have is quite good actually, i5 versus i3, and ssd. Personally I think it would be a waste to get a another laptop equal in performance. Building your own desktop with parts you want is going to be better in the long run. However, $500 isn't enough. You can spend that much on a video card.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:18 AM

My advice: wait a bit longer and gather some more money.

$500 is under budget for a desktop build right now due to GPU and memory prices.

I say wait another two maybe three months and gather some more money too and perhaps by then maybe GPU prices will drop a little

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 Keraie

Keraie

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:16 PM

I agree with Spoon. Wait till you gain more money 500$ is barely enough money to run games in high graphics. If you're looking at it to just game and watch videos and streams build a desktop. I would recommend saving from anywhere from 800$+. If you're looking to use it for education and still game look for a laptop.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,621 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:49 AM

The original poster clearly stated, "and zero gaming," so any consideration of that as a baseline is unnecessary.

I concur with those who say that the machine already in use is quite a good one for the stated needs.  Based upon the data contained in the userbenchmark.com report I suspect that there are a lot of processes being started at system startup that are not things that are really used.  It is always worth pruning out those programs you don't use from starting up processes in the background waiting for you to "tell me that you need me" except for those programs that you really do use very frequently and want to have start up lightning fast when you do.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 masterHDD

masterHDD

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:00 PM

Invest a little bit more and get yourself a used macbook pro. It will last you forever.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,159 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:01 PM

Invest a little bit more and get yourself a used macbook pro. It will last you forever.

Apple sucks!

Useless overpriced garbage.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 masterHDD

masterHDD

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

Apple sucks!

Useless overpriced garbage.

There there now... You know, I once found a old 2006 macbook lying on the street, not even pro. And guess what it outlived all my other laptops and desktops. Still kicking. Maybe nowadays the parts they are assembled with are not that great, but back in the day, they were solid. 

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,621 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

Build quality of various eras aside, I don't want to be in Apple Jail.  [I have a history with Apple products and many PC makers, and I feel completely hemmed in by the Apple Borg.]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 925 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:52 AM

Today prices are dropping on hardware (memory/SSD's) so it is possible to get a good system under $500. Of course this is not a gaming rig but should do well for what the OP wants (minus O.S.)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sJwd9J

Memory can be upgraded in the future to 16gb (2x8gb modules) or up to 32gb memory with (4x8gb modules) Max of memory 64gb. (4x16)

Has 2.0x16 pci-e slot for upgrade to a graphics card

If the OP wishes to game in the future, those options are available

Edited by Joe C, 18 May 2018 - 08:07 AM.

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:55 PM

I read a few apple models had huge gpu chip set heating problems and just flat out burned themselves up where you either replace the motherboard completely, or hire someone with the expensive machinery to align and hot air/re-ball microchips and/or replace them with upgrade chips that aren't plagued with heating issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users