Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ThinkCenter M82 desktop PC does not boot

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 planet66

planet66

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 09:28 PM

Hello,

I recently bought a used ThinkCenter M82 desktop PC. When I got it, it worked fine. But after I installed a video card in it (I want to use it to connect to two monitors), it didn’t boot (black screen). Then I removed the new installed video card from it, but it still didn’t boot (black screen).
Does anyone have idea about what it is the problem?

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

Hello planet66,

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket  and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU.

Try removing and reinserting the RAM into the slots, if still no display, try removing the CMOS battery for 5 minutes or so and then replace it and if you have more than the one stick of RAM try only using the one stick, test then try the other stick.

Attached Files

#3 planet66

planet66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 03:33 PM

Hello PhillPower2,

Thank you for your help! I tried your steps but with no luck. After I pushed the start button, I didn't hear the hard drive moving and the hard drive on the front case was off. If I removed both RAM sticks, after I pushed the start button I can hear three short beeps and then one long beep from motherboard.

Thanks again!

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:17 AM

Hello planet66,

After I pushed the start button, I didn't hear the hard drive moving and the hard drive on the front case was off.

If you mean the HDD LED on the front of the case was not blinking it may suggest that the HDD data or power connection has become disconnected, this would not normally result in you getting a black screen but instead an onscreen message telling you that no boot device could be found.

If I removed both RAM sticks, after I pushed the start button I can hear three short beeps and then one long beep from motherboard.

This suggests that the memory and the memory slots are ok and that the problem is after the memory has been tested as part of the power on self test (POST) the graphics being tested after the memory and the fact that you have a black screen points towards you possibly having a graphics device problem.

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the screen that you are using and tell us what video port on the back of the case you are using, the VGA or the Display port.

You do mention in your OP that you removed the add on video card when it did not work, can I just make sure that while troubleshooting the onboard video the add on video card is kept out of the motherboard.

You are welcome btw  :)

#5 planet66

planet66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 11:17 AM

Hello PhillPower2,

Thank you for your help again!

Actually the power should be connected to HDD, because I could hear the noise from HDD when I hard-shutdown PC. Maybe like you suggested that it is not a HDD issue, since it is black screen (not "no boot device could be found" error at startup).
Also like you said that this might be video card related issue. The PC model is Lenovo Thinkcentre M82. I didn't find its original video card model. I was trying to put a " EVGA GeForce 210 (512MB DDR2)" Video Card in it, but it caused PC not boot.

Here are what I did: 
1) Started the PC after I got, and PC booted fine and I was able to do the basic windows setup. 
2) Shutdown the PC and put the " EVGA GeForce 210 512MB DDR2" Video Card (this card worked fine when it was pulled from another PC) in PC. 
3) Started the PC and PC didn't boot. I used VGA port from original video card, and DVI-I (and HDMI) port from GeForce 210 video card. Nothing worked.
4) Removed the GeForce 210 video card from PC, and then started PC, and didn't boot.
5) All the troubleshooting were without GeForce 210 video card after this point.

Thanks!

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:41 PM

Hello planet66,

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the screen that you are using and tell us what video port on the back of the case you are using, the VGA or the Display port.

Can you also answer the above for us.

In addition to the above, can I ask if you have another screen to try or a notebook that you can try hooking your present screen up to, I would also suggest that you check the video cable for any signs of damage (including any bent pins in the end connectors) and make sure that if it is using the VGA type connection the screws are secure (finger tighten only).

#7 planet66

planet66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

Hello PhillPower2,

The screens (I tested with) are LG L1932TQ and a TV set, and the screens and the video cable worked fine on my another PC. When I tested, I connected screens to my another PC and they worked fine, and I should have tighten the video cable connection all the time.

Thanks!

#8 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 01:51 PM

Hello planet66,

Running out of suggestions I`m afraid as everything I suggest checks out as being ok  :(

This is a long shot but we need to try everything that we can, disconnect the hard drive and the optical drive from the motherboard, make sure that your keyboard is connected to one of the black USB 2.0 ports.

LG L1932TQ 

Checked the specs and can see that this screen has a VGA port, stick with connecting this screen to the VGA port on the back of the computer, power up the PC and monitor to see if there is any change.

You are welcome  :)

#9 planet66

planet66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 02:40 PM

Hello PhillPower2,

Actually I had tried to disconnect the hard drive and the optical drive from the motherboard, and it didn't work. I also wanted to try to switch the hard drive cable with the optical drive cable, but these two cable heads are little different and could not be switched. And the keyboard and the mouse were connected to the USB 2.0 ports.

And I also tried the LG L1932TQ VGA port, but it didn't work either.

I am thinking: The graphic connection on the motherboard might have become defective when I put an additional video card in it, or the power supply might have become defective when I put the additional load (for additional video card) in it.

Thank you very much for your trying to help out! I bought this PC with $90, so it is not big loss, and learned a lesson.  :)  

Thanks!

#10 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 02:56 PM

Hello planet66,

I am thinking: The graphic connection on the motherboard might have become defective when I put an additional video card in it, 

The integrated graphics port and the PCI-E slot where an add on GPU goes are not connected so not likely that you have damaged one by trying the other.

Try repeating any tests that you have done already but this time with only the one stick of RAM in the slot that is the nearest to the CPU, if no change, repeat with just the second stick in the slot and the other one not in the board.

#11 planet66

planet66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 03:36 PM

Hello PhillPower2,

I just tried several times with just putting the one stick of RAM in the different slot, and still didn't work.

Thanks!

#12 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:30 AM

Hello planet66,

If you are 100% certain that the video card that you fitted into the board is good try testing with that in the board again.

If no change with the Geforce 210 in the board, check the capacitors on the MB to see if any are bulging or leaking, some tips on what to look out for here

#13 planet66

planet66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:42 PM

Hello PhillPower2,

Actually after I learned from you that the integrated graphics port and the PCI-E slot are not connected, I tried to put the Geforce 210 card (I tested this card on another PC again and it works) back in the motherboard but no luck.

I just checked the capacitors on the MB but didn't found a problem, and both the capacitors and the MB look quite clean.

Thanks!

#14 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:16 AM

Hello planet66,

Only other suggestion that I can think of is trying another power supply in case the present unit is not putting out enough power/amps, you may need to ask a local tech store if they can do this and if so be sure to ask for any cost they may charge for doing so.

#15 planet66

planet66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:03 PM

Hello PhillPower2,

I will check with the local PC repair store.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users