Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote, bootable, malware that attacks just about anything on wifi

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 xanduq

xanduq

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:12 PM

This is my first post... sorry it has to be a plea for help.

The hack sounds similar to many I've read as a rootkit with hooks, seems to have its own method of transfer with sort of a cell connection. It started with a Dell win 8.1---my fault--- not updated properly. It was in just about everything on the wifi in the house so fast it made my head spin. Two old iPad 2s and my 6s iPhone I just got! Called Apple and they said that wasnt possible since it isn't jailbroken.

Gotta admit that my family thinks I'm crazy after running through the house ripping out plugs and batteries. Two are on Win 10 and think they are completely safe. After all, their virus program said their computers are fine... I saw my virus program changed to ignore the malware and turned off Win updates. I may be paranoid, but I can't control my Sony TV and it won't reset to factory resettings. I used it for the first time online a few months ago. Didnt even work well. If this is so, will I ever feel completely safe online?

Unlike most of the folks here, I don't need to save anything... would have been nice, but it's been 9 weeks. All the id info has been changed and is being monitored.

I've never back doored virus control or done any of the methods I've read here.

Would purchasing new hard drives resolve this problem? Maybe if it is truly in the bios--pop the cmos battery? If some are really old, they will not be replaced. Just purchase one new laptop for everyone for now? Comcast arrives on Monday to deal with their equipment. I called tv repair for the Sony. I plan to take my iPhone to Verizon...fix it or replace it. The iPads can't be updated to the newest ios.

I'm done... I just need to get past this...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Remotee

Remotee

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:10 AM

Sounds all too familiar. I tried removing the CMOS battery for many days, replacing the hard drive with a new one etc. Nothing seems to work, even a new computer.  Most "expert" friends think I'm imagining all this because they don't take the time to really use the computer & examine it thoroughly.  I've even contemplated going down in a deep underground cave to install Windows. Tried Ubuntu (seemed to work the first time until I went on the Internet), DOS, Windows 3.1 (ok if I didn't install network devices), Windows 98 (seems to limit his abilities a little). Needless to say, I have lots of logs & files of their handiwork.  There must be more than 1 person because it doesn't make any difference what time I turn on the computer. If you find the solution for this problem, let me know.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:14 PM

"" I'm done... I just need to get past this...""

That is the truth, and the reality.

This needs to be said gently....but it still needs to be said.

You need help....(not PC help)

As much as you may have some pc issues, I am seriously confident that a trip through the Malware Removal area here would give your pc a clean bill of health.

Understand......that any intrusions of any kind will be outed in the scans that are done in that forum.

(If you wish to have the experts look...Go Here and start at step 6)

The greatest motivator for hacking etc  is money

So unless you have loads of it...and the worlds crims are after it......then the problem lies within you.

Please seek help. Your family will breath a sigh of relief.

I say all this with the greatest respect and sympathy for you.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 xanduq

xanduq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:30 AM

Remotee: That is quiet disheartening. If I ever figure it out, I'll be sure to post.

Aussie: You don't mince words, but I haven't sat back. I've done countless Malwarebytes scans, restored and reformatted. I've had "experts" tell me the computer is clean. I believed them until I discover I'm no longer the owner of my own device again. I'm more than willing to try. I did the first logs. I'll look in the directions where to post it. 

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:16 AM

Create the new topic   HERE   

Be sure to "follow the topic"

Be patient.....the Experts there are perennially busy.

The experts in that forum are just that.... Experts. No quotation marks needed or necessary.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:14 AM

Topic opened in Malware Removal & Spyware etc

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users