Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot reboot in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 1necro

1necro

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:37 PM

Using Windows7 Home Premium. Received "User profile Service failed the log on, User profile cannot be loaded. tempted to reboot in safe mode by tapping F8, but just goes to the screen saying the user profile error message. Also tried a Repair, Reinstall, fix it disc but just goes to that same error message. Do not have a manufacture or made a recovery disc. No matter what I try it just goes to that same error screen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:40 PM

Do you use Microsoft Security Essentials?

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/675261/experiencing-multiple-win-7-systems-with-user-profile-service-fails/

#3 1necro

1necro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 05:53 AM

Yes I Am...Everytime I reboot it goes to the blue screen stating the service profile has failed. Trying to reboot in safe mode by tapping F8 does not work. Can't get to any othee screen.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:15 AM

Is this Windows 7 32bit? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 April 2018 - 08:16 AM.

#5 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:15 AM

try F5 and see if that'll get you into safemode

#6 1necro

1necro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:36 AM

64 bit...F5 didn't work. Attempted it a few times. Only screen that comes up is that user profile failed. Now I cannot restart from that screen only  able to shut down computer.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 01:07 PM

You'll need to press the F8 key as soon as the computer boots. If it gets to the Windows splash screen, it's too late. You'll need to reboot and try again.

Once booted into the Advanced Boot otions menu, select Safe Mode.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-start-windows-7-in-safe-mode-2624540

Once you are able to boot into safe mode, go through these troubleshooting steps:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947215/you-receive-a-the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-error-message

#8 1necro

1necro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:27 PM

Attempted to do that. When I reboot nothing displays , just the error screen stating my user profile failed anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 mins after I reboot. Ive been hitting F8 immediately after the reboot starts. Still has not worked

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:04 PM

Download and install Lazesoft Windows password recover home on another computer and create a bootable CD or USB flash drive. Enable the Hidden Administrator Account. After enabling remove the disk and reboot. Hopefully you will be able to access the Administrator account.

http://www.lazesoft.com/forgot-windows-admin-password-recovery-freeware.html

http://www.lazesoft.com/how-to-reset-administrator-password.html

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:41 AM

Maybe somebody will double check me on this but if your Windows 7 system is configured to have a zero second timeout in either msconfig or Startup and Recovery:

[attachment=204411:Untitled.jpg]

No amount of pressing/tapping/pounding F8 will get you to the Advanced Boot Options menu to choose Safe Mode.

Maybe that is the problem here.

Lots of systems with one OS have the timeout set to zero to save the few seconds of boot time and that is a good idea but comes at a cost...

Perhaps somebody will check me on that.

You can check/add/adjust the timeout and even enable Safe Mode through bcdedit but you will have to have some genuine bootable Windows media to do that.

Edited by joseibarra, 02 May 2018 - 07:44 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:55 AM

That first box, Time to Display List of Operating Systems is for a dual boot system. If two OSs are on the computer it defaults to 30 seconds. If there is no other OS on the computer it defaults to zero.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2285-operating-system-start-change-display-list-time.html

#12 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:01 AM

So you set that box to zero seconds (which also changes msconfig) and were able to get into Safe Mode with F8?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:17 AM

Yes,

I checked and set the time to zero. It was initially checked and set to 30 seconds for some reason even though there is only one OS on the computer. I Clicked Apply. I went back and the box was unchecked and the time greyed out to zero. I rebooted and by tapping F8 was able to access the Advanced Boot Options and  enter Safe Mode.

#14 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:30 AM

Hmmm... okay I have "fixed" it enough over the years by changing the time to anything greater than zero but maybe it is brand or motherboard inherent.

Anywho since I know that setting it to zero on some systems makes F8 not work that might be the problem on this system.

One solution when F8 is just not working and instead of spending four or five days trying things is to quit messing around and boot on the Windows 7 media and check it/fix it with bcedit.

Check the timeout, adjust it if needed and you can also enable (turn on Safe Mode) with bcdedit:

[attachment=204412:Untitled.jpg]

#15 1necro

1necro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:42 PM

The only screen that appears is after reboot is thee user profile failed. No other screens appear other than .that. No windows sas screen shows up just the same service profile failed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users