Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password not recognised after Win 10 update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 seapaddler

seapaddler

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

Hello, I hope you can help.

I bought a new PC and put in a password, added some antivirus programs, Mcafee (free with my provider) Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro Alert. Also then added some photos and music etc.

I switched the PC on and off a couple of times and input the password a couple of times so I know the password worked.

Then Windows 10 did a big update.

After that when I try to log in to the PC I get a message saying that my password is wrong.

I use a wireless adapter to the router although I tried it with a network cable but still got the same message.

I have still have internet access through my old PC which has the same password as the new one.

Is there any way I can get the new PC password working again?

A word of warning I am really not that tech savvy.

Many thanks,

seapaddler

Moved from BSOD to Win ten

NickAu

Edited by NickAu, 28 April 2018 - 05:21 PM.
Mod edit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:33 PM

I don't have Windows 10 but it sounds like your using your online Microsoft account to log in.

#3 seapaddler

seapaddler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I don't think I am.

I just switch the PC on and it comes up with the password box, I type the password in and it tells me it's wrong.

Regards.

N

#4 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 29 April 2018 - 06:29 PM

Well then I have no clue what to do. Best to let someone who's an expert on Windows 10 help you. Sorry I cant offer anymore help but it still sounds like your using the online account to log in.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 29 April 2018 - 06:50 PM

You can follow John_C directions HERE

I've used this many times thanks to John, and it works well.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 seapaddler

seapaddler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:31 PM

Many thanks, I'll give it a try.

I really don't think I have forgotten the password. It did work on the new computer before the update and it still works on the old PC.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards.

N

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:33 PM

That's okay, it is probably from a Windows 10 Upgrade.  What you want to do is Activate the Administrators account so that you can get back in and change the password, or reactivate the current one somehow.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:58 PM

What one needs to do with regard to password changes varies depending on whether one is using a Windows 10 User Account that's local or linked to a Microsoft Account.

If it's MS Account linked you can log in to your MS account and change the password.  That will become your password under Windows 10 as well.

Other steps are required if the account is a local one.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users