Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Cleaning

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zanshin777

zanshin777

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:35 AM

Isn't registry cleaning is about the system files belong to Microsoft Windows?

When I click analyse button on "Ccleaner" It shows the files downloaded on the external hdd. Why?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:38 AM

you should NEVER use a registry cleaner.....it will do more harm then good

CCleaners "cleaning" of temp files is good....just dont use the registry part of the program

Edited by mikey11, 27 April 2018 - 07:39 AM.

#3 zanshin777

zanshin777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:40 AM

Thank you very much for the response.

I did it because a software doesn't start although I uninstalled, downloaded and installed that again and again. I thought it's because distorted registry files.

However before that It made create me registry backup file.

Now where should I replace that backup file to revert the settings?

Edited by zanshin777, 27 April 2018 - 07:41 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 09:41 AM

The following information was provided by jinae who worked for Microsoft in the early development of the Windows registry.

"While it is good practice to warn about playing around in the registry, it does take some skill (or a complete lack of it) to actually make a change that would render a machine inoperable. In most cases, the registry will ignore null or invalid entries, one reason why registry cleaners are not needed."

Just for good measure, the following was written by quietman7.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Edited by dc3, 27 April 2018 - 09:46 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 09:45 AM

Isn't registry cleaning is about the system files belong to Microsoft Windows?

When I click analyze button on "Ccleaner" It shows the files downloaded on the external hdd. Why?

How do you have your browser set for the download location? 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 zanshin777

zanshin777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 10:38 AM

The backup registry file is on the desktop right now. It automatically saved there.

Edited by zanshin777, 27 April 2018 - 10:39 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:40 AM

Though I don't recommend using the CCleaner Regcleaner I have found that it is about the safest one out there. If your computer is running normally, I would not bother attempting to restore the registry settings from the CCleaner backup. Leave it alone but keep the backup file either on the desktop or move it to your documents folder.

#8 zanshin777

zanshin777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

Thank you all very much for the answers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users