Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

*sighs*

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gilraen Took

Gilraen Took

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:57 AM

Well, I did something stupid. I trusted my roommate to use my computer one night while I was at work since he'd ruined his laptop by spilling a beer into it... My NEW computer at that. I hadn't had a problem with any spy/mal/ad/whatever else ware, no viruses etc. Now I am seemingly filled with it. Ewido, ad-aware, spybot and avg are all constantly finding stuff on here now... Just for my uses, I haven't ever downloaded any music, games, movies etc onto it. Plus I haven't been to any sites I haven't used without problems in the past.

Well, for one, what do I do? I'm still using those, have a hijack this log posted, and have used a couple of the programs listed on that forum. Still gettting tons of stuff>.< I don't know, a thought in the back of my mind, I haven't had this one long enough to get anything much onto it. Could I just back up my pictures and stuff, find my reformat disc and do that to get all of the bad stuff off of here, or would that just push it farther into hiding? Also, for someone who has never done that with a computer before, would it be too much work, and(dumb question :thumbsup: ) would it just leave windows stuff on there, would it restore the computer to the manafacturer's settings, or would it delete Everything, meaning I'd have to have windows reinstalled completely onto the computer?

Also, a couple of things I'm uncertain on: Spybot found(a couple of times) a program called command manager(something like that anyway) and tried to delete it, but couldn't. It was on my add/remove programs list for a bit, but vanished after teh first time I ran spybot. Is there any way to check to see if it is still on there since spybot is not finding it anymore, or should I assume that spybot deleted it? Also, does anyone know anything about WildTangent? I am pretty sure it did not come with my computer, and spybot has flagged it as being bad one time. It took it off, but when I asked my boyfriend to remove it once bvefore(took spybot a couple of times to not be able to find it) he said it wasn't bad. Now I know I didn't install that myself, so is it a bad program, like spybot says, or is it harmless like my boyfriend says? Also, there are a couple of things I don't recognise in my add/remove list. One is a program called Sonic Encoders, by Sonic Solutions, one is Enhanced Browser Overlay, which I am pretty sure I've taken OFF a coupel of times after seeing it on a spybot list, and the last is Viewpoint Media Player. I don't remember installing any of those, and cannot remember if they came with my pc or not. Should I remove any of them(and if so do they respond to the uninstaller) or leave them?

EDIT: Oops, forgot to add. I'm really paranoid about this. My old HP used to run pretty well, I got into something with it(search engine woes. wasn't even searching for anything bad, just clicked the wrong link looking for info on something...) and then once it got infected it basically died. It never ran nearly as well again. This one has gone from being lightining fast(for me anyways) to laging like no other when I'm trying to start up/run more than one program etc. Just like the old one started out doing. I'm pretty sure I didn't get everything off of the old one, but at the time I just assumed it was due to age. Now this one is doing that... Also, the past few times I've started up I got these messages:

RUNDLL, Error lpading w3452a06.dll, The specific module could not be found
Luiz08, Run-time error '5':, Invalid procedure call or argument

The commas are line breaks, the first part is the header of the window that popped up to tell me that. Are they from some sort of bug that a virus has caused, or are they from a virus that has been partially deleted? Also, in avg, should I just be moving viruses to the vault, or deleting them altogether? And lastly, should I try to get the names of a lot of the popups that are appearing on my pc/the names of junk that the bot programs are finding and post them here?

Edited by Gilraen Took, 07 October 2006 - 02:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:26 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

just click on the link above, follow the instructions exactly,

and you will be helped by one of the HJT Team.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:53 AM

...... have a hijack this log posted, ......

Since you already have a HijackThis log posted, Gilraen Took, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it more difficult to properly clean your system.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

Edited by tg1911, 07 October 2006 - 02:58 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:54 AM

Before making a decision about re-installing Windows, first see what the HJT team member can find and remove, and whether this fixes all the problems or not.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:19 AM

HJT log --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/67647/my-hijackthis-list/
I've picked it up, I'll give it my best shot to fix without a reformat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users