Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

speeding up a sluggish 4 year old Macbook

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joe2k1

joe2k1

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:12 PM

A friend approached me about speeding up his aging Macbook. Its less than 5 years ago. It works fine with one or two programs but when he opens many it gets slow. He's also got a message about the startup disk. Can anyone point me in the direction of trustworthy maintenance suggestions? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:18 PM

This article is dated but there are still some good ideas to try. 

https://www.macworld.com/article/1049489/software-utilities/softwarespeed.html

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:48 AM

A friend approached me about speeding up his aging Macbook. Its less than 5 years ago. It works fine with one or two programs but when he opens many it gets slow. He's also got a message about the startup disk. Can anyone point me in the direction of trustworthy maintenance suggestions? 

Which Macbook does he have, exactly? What's the size of the hard drive and how much space is available and how many GB RAM does the MB have? What exactly is the startup disk message?

Edited by Buddyme2, 27 April 2018 - 01:48 AM.

#4 joe2k1

joe2k1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:10 AM

Thanks folks! This is helpful. I don't know any details about the macbook aside from it being a mid range model when it was purchased many years ago. I suspect the hard drive must be almost full, which would explain why he asked about a decent external usb drive for backups/data. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users