Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Creation from Storage Partition

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:24 PM

I recently created a Storage Partition so that I could just Image my Windows OS and have the Storage Separate.  Now I have my Linux iso's on the storage partition, but it takes a really long time to Create Linux Live USB's from there.  This really grinds my gears, and makes trying out new linux distro's miserable for me.  The last one took 45min to create from there.  Takes like 8min I think from the C Drive.  Would someone get me straightened out so that I can get on with some distro hopping?

Edited by Al1000, 27 April 2018 - 01:54 PM.
moved from Linux & Unix

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:16 PM

Is your storage on an external drive?

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,241 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:32 PM

No, same drive Paul, right next to the C Drive.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:53 AM

No, same drive Paul, right next to the C Drive.

That's odd.If you are just trying to burn an .iso to a USB stick,it shouldn't make any difference where the .iso is stored. I'll have to think on that one.

You could try just installing the distros on an external drive. I used to use and old laptop drive in an enclosure. Just did it like a multi-boot system.

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:38 AM

C Drive?

What operating system are you using?

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,437 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:41 AM

Mm. That's odd indeed, Punk.

Like Paul, I don't understand that one either. If your storage partition is on the same drive as your C: drive, it should make no difference whatsoever. The only thing I can think of that might conceivably make a difference would be the file-system in use, but I don't see it making that big a difference...

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,241 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:13 AM

C Drive?

What operating system are you using?

Windows 7 is my Main PC as of now, so would really like to be able to do this from here.  Otherwise will need to use one of my laptops every time.  I was trying to make this more efficient for me.

I'll give it another shot, though I have tried it three times now.  The Third time I moved the USB Creator Software to the same Storage Partition as the iso's in an attempt to fix this, wich was UUI, Universal USB Installer.

@Mike, at least I'm not crazy LOL.  I was thinking there should be no problem with this simple operation.  The File System is of course NTFS.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:29 PM

I would think your USB Creator Software should be on your C Drive, since all programs normally operate from there.?

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:54 PM

Windows 7 is my Main PC as of now, so would really like to be able to do this from here.  Otherwise will need to use one of my laptops every time.  I was trying to make this more efficient for me.

The problem is more likely to relate to Windows in that case, if that's the operating system that's being used to create the live USBs, so I'll move this topic to the Windows 7 forum.

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,285 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 10:03 PM

Does ' right next to the C Drive' mean on the same physical HDD as the OS or on a separate HDD?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#11 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 10:12 PM

Does ' right next to the C Drive' mean on the same physical HDD as the OS or on a separate HDD?

I believe that PCpunk means a separate partition on the same physical drive.Correct me if I am wrong PC!

#12 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 10:18 PM

PC- why don't you just burn your .iso's to a DVD. That way you can just pop one in whenever you want. 

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 10:35 PM

I assume this is a HDD ....not a SSD....?

Did win 7 assign a drive letter to the new partition ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,241 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:04 AM

This is a simple HDD with System Reserved and C Drive, then my Storage E Drive to the right of the C Drive, and one other Unallocated Partition at the end.  I have been using DVD's somewhat Paul, but the USB is the ticket for distro hopping.

cOwUxFM.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:56 PM

Have you tried just dragging the .iso directly onto the USB drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users