Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot run combofix on XP, says Combofix is expired

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:30 PM

I downloaded Combofix on my Windows 7 machine from this website, transferred it to my Windows XP machine and every time I try to run Combofix, it ALWAYS  says Combofix is expired. It does not matter if I click OK or Cancel, Combofix ALWAYS exits and the combofix exe automatically deletes itself permanently.

First off, since when did combo fix ever have an expiration date? And why cannot I run it in "reduced" mode???

Why host "expired" software on this website? This is my first time trying combo fix on this computer.

Edited by hamluis, 26 April 2018 - 02:56 PM.
Moved from XP to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cunikcz

cunikcz

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:34 PM

Hi, try run ComboFix in Safe Mode

Edited by cunikcz, 27 April 2018 - 02:36 PM.

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:27 PM

Except my Windows XP computer will not boot into safe mode. It always hangs for eternity at mup.sys

I can only boot into normal mode

#4 cunikcz

cunikcz

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:55 PM

It would be better to reinstall OS? Probably your system has been damaged

Edited by cunikcz, 27 April 2018 - 05:41 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:30 PM

Combofix has a built-in time out (expiration) feature which is there for protection against using outdated versions which may cause serious problems with your computer if used. Thus, the date check is a safety feature deliberately incorporated by the tool's creator for that very reason. In June 2008, sUBs advised he lifted the limit when running the /U switch with expired copies of ComboFix that had passed the 10 day limit.

Without going into specifics to protect the integrity of the tool, ComboFix gives users the choice of running itself in "Reduced Functionality" mode with limited capabilities...most of its autofixing routines are disabled. The 'Reduced Functionality" mode protects users who are running an older and/or possibly buggy version of the tool which may cause problems. It also serves as a way for users to create a log for review when asked for by trained experts providing instructions for using ComboFix under supervised guidance.

In some older versions of ComboFix, the expired version may no longer work properly or effectively. In newer versions, it should delete the copy on a user's computer and try to ensure no other copies of ComboFix will run on the machine until an updated copy is released.

I have not used ComboFix in years since nor have there been any recent reports that I am aware of. Most malware removal experts now use FRST.

If you need to report a problem with ComboFix, you can contact the developer (suBs) by posting a topic at Tech Support Forum.

If you need individual assistance with a possible malware infection, you should follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide. When you have done that, start a new topic and post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team. If HelpBot replies to your topic, please follow Step One and CLICK the link so it will report your topic to the team members.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:33 PM

As I already said, I cannot run it in reduced functionality mode because it does not matter if I click ok or cancel when it asks, it just deletes itself. I am using the one downloaded from this website. downloaded on the date my OP was made.

Edited by Sylveon Fetish, 27 April 2018 - 08:34 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:40 PM

That is what it is supposed to do on newer versions....delete itself and try to ensure no other copies of ComboFix will run on the machine until an updated copy is released. The BC download site is the most current version but it looks to be several months old.

If sUBs changed something, ComboFix probably may not run reduced functionality mode anymore...that's why I referred you to him.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:43 PM

Is the system date correct? Having wrong system date can provoke date-based misbehavior from some software.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:24 AM

Yes the date is correct

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:35 PM

Then if you wish to continue with ComboFix, it's going to be best to try to contact the developer, as quietman7 says. Only suBs knows the inner workings of ComboFix.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users