Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Chocolatey to Install/Update Software?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

Hi,

Is it a good idea to use Chocolatey to install/update software on a Windows 7/10 PC?  Is it reliable and safe to use?  Will it avoid PUPs and malware?  Is the PowerShell that it uses safe?

I currently use Ninite and Patch My PC Updater, which I am very pleased with.  I find SUMo is also good for checking for outdated software (but it does not support automatic updates).  However, some apps like FreeFileSync and Speccy (installed, non-portable) are supported only by Chocolatey.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:09 PM

There is never a need...for anyone...install "update software."

Windows...and some applications...will install updates through their own mechanisms.

Hardware drivers...do not need to be "updated" or replaced...unless there is a specific advantage to be gained by such update or the current driver is damaged/corrupt and causing problems.

Programs which reflect drivers (e.g., antivirus, video editors, etc.) will generally notify users when an upgraded version is available.

Louis

#3 SimeonNaranjit

SimeonNaranjit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:53 AM

You can look into PDQ Deploy. There is a free and paid version which is cheap for what it does. It's well loved by many sys admins. If you go for the free version, there are generous contributors on several SysAdmin forums who post a link to their custom repositories where they have done the work of creating the packages for many popular 3rd party softwares for you to download and deploy to your workstations.

#4 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for your feedback.  I had a look at Chocolatey and PDQ Deploy but for now decided to stick with the apps in my original post alongside manual installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users