Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One Long Beep (2 secs) PC works, Monitor Doesn't.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:55 AM

Hi Everyone,

The title says it all: usually there's one short beep (1/2 sec) and pc is fine, but today I heard a long beep (2 secs), the pc went to work normally but the monitor remained black.

I hard turned it off a couple of times but the result was the same, so I turned the power button off and waited a couple of minutes, then switched it on a it started normally with a short beep.

I've been googling like crazy (more than 2 hours now) but I cannot find ONE post somewhere about a single long beep, a continuous long beep yes, but not a single long one.

What am I facing here? what should I do if it happens again and more pertinently if I fail to start it by using any method?

The site of my motherboard fails to mention, in their "beep sign list" one long beep so I am at lost here :-( ...

My System:

Windows 7, Home Edition

BIOS: Gigabyte, Award Software F9

I don't know whether this is of relevance, but I've been having some mouse and keyboard freezes while playing games (and only then) as I'm using a cordless keyboard, mouse hardware from Logitech.

I want to solve this before it gets worse, so any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Francisco.

PS: It just struck me that it has happened a couple of days ago but the "hard turn off" solved the problem so IT IS getting worse...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:48 PM

A long beep at the start up, as soon as power is applied is usually a memory fault in the very first bank, where on-board video is resident.  That would result in an apparent start but without video to see that it didn't get past the BIOS as the first bank of memory is where the BIOS unloads into.  Reseating the memory may cure the fault but a failure of the connector may be resulting in a complete failure when the board is reseated.  Not an uncommon fault in older machines.

#3 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:29 PM

I hear you; so what's your advice? ( and you're right my pc is a bit old, despite some new hardware that I pimped it up...)

Edited by TheFrancisco, 26 April 2018 - 03:31 PM.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:31 PM

The normal approach is to remove all but one of the memory modules to see if it then works.  If it does, try the next one and so forth.  If they all work individually, add them back in an organized fashion; though, as a note, it could just be a dirty memory connector where unplugging and replugging fixes it.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:20 PM

Let me see if I get this straight:

So, what you're saying (both of you) is that it, definitely, has to do with the ram memory; correct?

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:41 PM

You have a slightly unusual symptom; but, it is definitely the highest probability.  I did say; though, that it could be nothing more than dirty contacts and I have seen that several times.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#7 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:25 AM

Ok, I'll give it a shot: I'm going to check out those sticks (when I have more time available) and I'll post here my results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users