Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer under Network disappeared! after installed Mcrsof Cumulative Updates

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ThankYouSir

ThankYouSir

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:16 PM

Hello, please forgive me for my not perfect English (English is my third language).

I am currently using (desktop) Windows 10, and let just say Windows 10 is not very friendly :-( 
I just miss Windows 7 so much (perhaps I'm new to Windows 10).

Anyways, I'm online, I'm connected to the internet and I am typing this on my Windows 10. Yes, I have internet.

Problem, you know how under Network, you able to see your computer listed: it listed your computer name, example let say mine is ThankYouSir-Desktop. Yes, this was listed under NETWORK before.
Now it DISAPPPEARED!! Under Network now it show NOTHING (I know there is something, I'm connected to the internet, so it there, it just under network it not showing the computer anymore).

I noticed it disappeared since yesterday after I installed the Microsoft Comulative Updates. It these two updates: 2018-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4093105) and " (KB4093112).

I mean I'm online and connected to the internet, everything seem to be fine with my computer. It just under NETWORK now it show NOTHING, like nothing! What happened to that before when under Network it listed my computer (ThankYouSir-Desktop) you know?

Please help me.
This is not something major right? Perhaps I should ignore it until one day it might appear again after some future Microsoft Updates?

Edited by ThankYouSir, 25 April 2018 - 08:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:40 PM

Hi, I take it you are referring to windows explorer, Network. What shows if you select the > Network, expanding it, does anything show?

#3 ThankYouSir

ThankYouSir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:03 PM

Yes, Ms. jenae. Before I expanded it, I saw my computer. Now I expand it and it Gone, like poof, nothing! under there.

It was there before, it used to list my computer under my network (ThankYouSir-Desktop, is the name and what I name my computer) it listed that. Now it disappeared, under network there NOTHING! But how can it be? I'm connected the internet and online, It has to be there.
And it so weird, it just disappeared after I installed those Microsoft Cumulative Updates.

And yes, I have checked (the dot) on the box Turn On Network Discovery (it ALWAYS been on). It was on last time when I saw my computer under Network, and now it still that exact same setting, and same under network; but the my computer is gone, no longer listed there.

I'm having anxiety over this. I don't know if it the Microsoft Cumulative Updates bug(s) or it alter some system setting of mine. But I noticed it gone after I installed the Microsoft Cumulative Updates. And you know how Windows 10 are, it FORCE you to updates those important Microsoft stuff, even if i uninstall it, next time I turn on my computer it will run the updates and install it again.

Edited by ThankYouSir, 25 April 2018 - 09:06 PM.

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:06 AM

Please don't panic... Try this first

Open 'Start' > Open 'Settings' > Open 'Network & Internet' > Open Status

In the right hand pane find and Open 'Change connection properties'

Make sure 'Network profile' is set to 'Private'.
This should allow your system to be discoverable on your Network...
If 'Network profile' is set to Public, your system is hidden from the Network.

Regards

Old Rocker

#5 ThankYouSir

ThankYouSir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:03 AM

Thank you sir old rocker, it always set as private, this was like that before when I see the my computer under Network. Now it still the same exact setting but the my computer is gone, disappeared.

I do have Norton, and my firewall is automatic set and is protected by Norton itself (not the windows firewall). I don't know if Norton has anything to do with it, but it was fine before, I was able to see it before, now it just gone! And I noticed it gone after I installed those Microsoft Cumulative Updates (which are important updates, and Windows 10 will FORCE you to install. Windows 10 it not like Windows 7 where you can chose what updates you want to install).

Edited by ThankYouSir, 26 April 2018 - 12:02 PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,140 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:41 AM

In the end, this really is a non-issue.

Having your own computer show up in it's own File Explorer under the Network section really gains you nothing, as your machine is entirely accessible to you under This PC anyway.

I have had these sorts of quirks with File Explorer and both the Network and Homegroup sections many times through the years.  I'm perfectly happy so long as I can see any other machines on my network, not the actual machine I'm on, on each machine, respectively.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 ThankYouSir

ThankYouSir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:01 PM

Thank you Sir britechguy, since you mentioned this, it weird, I can see my Windows 7 (my old computer) machine under Network. I use Ethernet.
I just couldn't see my Windows 10 this machine I'm on type this to you.

How do I say this, okay, before under Networks I see two things: My old computer Windows 7 machine. AND my own computer the one I'm currently on Windows 10. So there was two computers listed there (this is how it should be correctly, because I have two computers plug into Ethernet modem).

And now after the Microsoft Cumulative Updates of Windows 10, my computer (the Windows 10 ones) it just poof, gone!
Now under Networks I ONLY see my old Windows 7 machine. 
So basically my Windows 10 computer (the one I'm on right now typing this), it just disappeared from Network.

But I know it there because when I check under Network and Internet of this Windows 10 computer, it show that it there, it said Ethernet Private network, You're connected to the Internet. So it there right? It just not showing.

So weird.

ugh.. maybe I should just ignore this, it probably it just one of those weird things with Windows 10.

Thank you sir.

#8 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:02 PM

I agree with Brian this is really a non-issue but, I follow 'curiosity kills the cat', and 'inquiring minds want to know'

This worked well on my system I am an insider running Version 1803 Build 17134.1 Windows 10 PRO 64bit. I believe 1709 incorporates the same Network reset capabilities.
If you'd like to try, I can offer this...

Try the Windows 10 Network reset...

This process takes some time, so be patient. The computer will be restarted. Sometimes when the process is completed the connection properties will be changed to Public. Change to Private and hopefully you are good to go from this point.

Open 'Start' > Open 'Settings' > Open 'Network & Internet' > Open Status

In the right hand pane find and Open 'Network reset'

Follow the prompts.

Best regards

Old Rocker

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,140 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:07 PM

I agree with Brian this is really a non-issue but, I follow 'curiosity kills the cat', and 'inquiring minds want to know'

I can be this way sometimes, too, but on this I'm just not.   Microsoft's "native" networking capabilities under Windows home versions (and maybe Pro and higher, but I can't say) has been flaky for almost forever.

So long as I'm able to do what I need to do on my LAN and connecting to cyberspace from the machines on my LAN that's what I care about.  How the machine I'm actually working on is represented in its own File Explorer under Network has never concerned me as I never access anything on the local box that way.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 601 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:21 PM

FWIW I am running fully updated Windows 10 Professional, 64 bit, version 1709.  When I went view the Network folder in File Explorer, it appeared empty.  All I had to do was turn it on (as a Private network) and the desktop computer (the one I am using right now) appeared - along with the other devices on my home network.  So perhaps this is just a problem of settings??

#11 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:22 PM

Mine is not there either. Maybe MS realized its an uneeded redundancy and changed in one of the updates. 

Mine is not there either. Maybe MS realized its an unneeded redundancy and changed in one of the updates. 

#12 ThankYouSir

ThankYouSir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:53 PM

Hello, maybe sir moderator britechguy or any other sir can help me answer this.

I noticed something kindda weird. Let me try to explain. I am using a modem to conne

internet, it Wired. In the back of this modem has 4 Ethernet port, meaning I can connect up to four computers on this modem to get the internet.

okay, so my Windows 7 I connect it to the Ethernet port 1 (always been like this).

So when I get my new computer (Windows 10 I'm on right now) I connect it to the Ethernet port 2.

Everything so far so good, I'm able to online both computer.

Here is the weird thing. I shut down both computer, like usual the Ethernet port 1 of my Windows 7, the green light on the modem is off, I mean ofcourse right? since I shut down the computer.

BUT, But the Ethernet port 2 light of my Windows 10, it still solid green. How can it be? I SHUT DOWN my Windows 10 already. You know as in I click the button that say Shut down and my computer shut down. So how can the Ethernet light of my Windows 10 still solid green on my modem? It so weird.

Shouldn't it be off like how my Windows 7 is (and the port 1 where I connect my Windows 7 the light is off)?

Why is the Ethernet light on my modem is still on eventhough I shut down completely my Windows 10 computer? The Ethernet Port 2 which I use for my Windows 10, the green light it solid green and still on, even AFTER I shut down my Windows 10. 

I look at the back case of this Windows 10 computer and I see a green led light I think perhaps where the motherboard? is? But I heard this is normal to see a green led on the motherboard even after it shut down.

But what up with I'm still seeing the solid green light on my modem (on ethernet Port 2 where I connect my Windows 10).

Something is weird with this Windows 10 of mine.

It is like some setting on Windows 10 that just not let me fully shut down eventhough I click shut down? I'm so confuse.

ahhhh I don't like Windows 10.

Edited by ThankYouSir, 26 April 2018 - 03:00 PM.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,140 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:31 PM

Shut down on Windows 10 is not necessarily fully shut down, but possibly in a partial hibernation state if the "Fast Startup" feature is enabled.  Still, that has nothing to do with what you're witnessing since hibernation is a "no power" state.  It is not unusual for certain devices to be on, on low power, if a machine is set to "wake on" certain events.  In this case, it's likely the Wake on LAN event.

Windows 10 is not really all that different from Windows 7 in many respects.  It was not unusual for certain devices to be left in low power on states at "shut down" in Windows versions going back quite a few years.

You are really worrying needlessly about things that are very unlikely to have any impact of any sort on your day to day use of that machine.  All of the above is educated conjecture, it could be something else that's triggering the ethernet card to have retained power.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:02 AM

In addition to what Brian stated, a solid green light indicates power, blinking indicates traffic. Mine is always blinking as "Something" is always trying to connect to the internet , looking for updates, time sync, ect. 

If you are truly worried maybe visit here --> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ Let them check it out and give you some peace of mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users