Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free ReactOS...anyone have experience with this OS?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:12 PM

A friend of mine just sent me a link to a page for the ReactOS free Windows compatible operating system. There wasn't much information about it except that it was compatible with Windows (they didn't say which version) but they made it sound great. Since it's free and because over 100 people helped to develop it, I'm a little concerned about security and about how the developers are paying the bills (advertising, collecting user data, etc.?). Has anyone else heard of this OS or have any experience with it?

This is the link to the page:   https://www.reactos.org/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:18 PM

There's a lot of press out there on it, but given that it's been around for almost 20 years that's no surprise.  It's still considered to be in alpha state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:09 PM

I see that they include Free DOS and it was supposed to be based on Windows 95; so what file system are they using? FAT?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:21 PM

Sounds like something that I wouldn't be interested in right now if it really has been around for 20 years and it's still in alpha state.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:45 PM

Sounds like something that I wouldn't be interested in right now if it really has been around for 20 years and it's still in alpha state.

Well, if you read about the history that's presented on the wikipedia page it's not a surprise why this is the case.  I certainly wouldn't consider it for anything other than an experimental installation to play with.

It's not all that different from GNU Hurd in the Linux world.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:48 PM

Well thats the thing the only thing that is windows is windows, I mean reactOS isnt bad by any stretch of the imagination but in the long run you may be better off sticking to windows if you are worried about 100% compatibility or running windows in a virtual environment like parallels in Mac or a VM in linux if you want windows but not be in control of your system.

If you got a new machine virtualization is a good alternative to a full blown windows installing that is if you have the right parts for it.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users