Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB device not recognized

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vev46

vev46

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:39 PM

I have 2 Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE phones running Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2.  One of them has no SIM card - I use it only to access my home network, the other is a fully functional phone with a SIM card.  The problem I have is that my Windows PC running Windows 7X64 will not recognize the fully functional phone, while it readily does so with the other one.  When connecting USB to the fully functional phone, there is a double "bump" audio which indicates non-recognition and it does not show up when I open Windows Explorer, while there is a single "bump" when I connect the other, and it does show up in Windows Explorer.  On my wife's laptop, however, also running Windows 7X64, BOTH devices show up with no problem.  On my PC, I use a powered USB hub, since I have more devices than USB ports on it, but I get the same result when I disconnect the hub and use a port on the back of the PC for the phone.  My PC is usually in the sleep mode overnight, but when I shut it down and try connecting the fully functional phone, Windows begins to search for driver software, but after a few minutes produces an error saying it was unsuccessful.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:16 PM

I can't say this will work but try the following. When multiple USB devices are attached to the same port sometimes a conflict arises between device drivers.

Download Device Cleanup Command , not Device Cleanup Tool. Unzip the file and in the unzipped folder you will find another folder called X64. Copy this X64 folder to the root of C:

Open an elevated command prompt. Type CMD in the search box and Right Click > Run as Administrator. Type the following commands

cd c:\x64
DeviceCleanupCmd *

This will remove all non-present devices. Do this with the USB hub removed but not your USB mouse, keyboard, or Printer.

Reboot and see if the phone is now recognized.

#3 vev46

vev46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:24 PM

JohnC_21, Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm not sure I performed the instructions correctly.  What I did get was the Device Cleanup Tool window showing all the devices with many repeated many times.  I deleted many of the duplicates.  I then rebooted, connected my USB code reader, Windows searched & found driver for that, but the cellphone did the exact same thing: Triple audio "bump" (not double as I incorrectly wrote initially), and again did not connect.  I attached 2 screenshots of Device Cleanup window the way it looks now.

Thanks,

Vic

Attached Files

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:28 AM

You did not download the correct version. You want the command line version. Use the commands in my post #2

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/devicecleanupcmd.zip

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 April 2018 - 10:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users