Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing files between a Dis-Infected Win 7 & Ubuntu VM on same LAN

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 max-question

max-question

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:02 PM

I'm trying to backup my documents from a DIS-infected Win 7 laptop (System #1) before I format and re-install Windows.

I've created a shared Ubuntu VM on another PC (System #2) in hopes of transferring my backup there and protecting all other systems on the network from being exposed to any remnants of the viruses.

Connecting to the VM from the dis-infected PC will be difficult as it's connected to the "Guest" Wi-Fi network which isolates it from the internal LAN.

Is there a way to safely connect to the Ubuntu VM and backup my files without risking infecting any other systems on my network?

FYI: Ubuntu (Linux) novice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

What is contained in the backup?

You could also boot system #1 from a Life CD and then transfer your files to a USB stick (provided the disk of system #1 is not encrypted).

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 max-question

max-question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:07 PM

What is contained in the backup?

You could also boot system #1 from a Life CD and then transfer your files to a USB stick (provided the disk of system #1 is not encrypted).

A large quantity of my data, (Photos, Videos, Documents) etc. It's over 200 GB and I can't afford an external drive right now, that is why I'm considering using the storage available on the other PC with the Ubuntu VM on my LAN

#4 Void0blivion

Void0blivion

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:00 AM

Hello,

Considering your limitations, why not use an ethernet crossover cable between your two machines ?

However, generally speaking, if your system #2 is connected to any network, you run the risk to have any remnants of virus do its work.

You must be sure, considering my solution, that your system #2 is isotated from any network (and that it will remain like that until you are sure your system #2 is "clean").

The solution of Didier Stevens is a good alternative, if not better.

Edited by Void0blivion, 28 April 2018 - 08:21 AM.

#5 max-question

max-question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:16 PM

Hello,

Considering your limitations, why not use an ethernet crossover cable between your two machines ?

However, generally speaking, if your system #2 is connected to any network, you run the risk to have any remnants of virus do its work.

You must be sure, considering my solution, that your system #2 is isotated from any network (and that it will remain like that until you are sure your system #2 is "clean").

The solution of Didier Stevens is a good alternative, if not better.

Thanks for informing me about "crossover cables" I never knew there was such a thing before, I educated myself and I now know that not all network cables are made the same.

If I understood correctly a crossover cable is just going to link the 2 systems (Dis-infected Win 7 & Ubuntu VM's system) directly, which will be the same as connecting the dis-infected PC to the unisolated LAN?

I was thinking of using an spare router that I'm currently using as access point to connect the 2 systems without affecting my currrent LAN.

The thing is I was looking for a way to securely establish a connection between the dis-infected Win 7 system and the Ubuntu VM without risking the security of the Ubuntu barring PC

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 05:05 AM

Then boot both system #1 and system #2 from a Live CD and transfer your files. You can do that over your network, as your infected system #1 will not be booted from the (potentially) infected OS.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 29 April 2018 - 05:06 AM.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#7 max-question

max-question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 01:55 PM

Then boot both system #1 and system #2 from a Live CD and transfer your files. You can do that over your network, as your infected system #1 will not be booted from the (potentially) infected OS.

Oh that's actually an excellent idea. Do you recommend a specific Live CD system? and would that have networking capability?

#8 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:03 AM

There are many choices, but I know from experience that Ubuntu will give you network access.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

#9 max-question

max-question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:37 AM

There are many choices, but I know from experience that Ubuntu will give you network access.

Thank you! It was done through an Ubuntu booted live from a USB

Thanks to everyone who got involved here

#10 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:50 PM

You're welcome.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users