Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gmail’s biggest redesign is now live

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:30 AM

The safety pillar centers around a new confidential mode. This allows the sender to set an expiration date for a sensitive email or to revoke it entirely. Google makes it work by not sending the confidential content directly — you’re only sending a link to the content, which lives in your mailbox and is accessed by the recipient either via their Gmail account or, if they use another email service, https. In both cases, you, the sender, are in charge of how long the other party can access the message. You’re basically handing out a time-limited access license.

Integrated rights management (IRM) is one of a number of business-centric features making it into the new Gmail for everyone, allowing you to block the forwarding, copying, downloading, or printing of particular messages. It’s obviously not going to prevent deliberate data extraction from such emails, but Google believes there’s a wide range of circumstances where people accidentally or unwittingly share information with the wrong person, and that’s the problem the company hopes to ameliorate.

Two-factor authentication (2FA) on a per-message basis is also being added in under the umbrella of confidential mode. You can request that the recipient authenticate with a passcode received via text message before they’re able to open a confidential email.

Alas, as big a change as confidential mode and its ancillary IRM and 2FA facets are for the new Gmail, it seems like they won’t be ready straight away, with Google promising we’ll be able to start using the secure mode “in the coming weeks.”

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/25/17277360/gmail-redesign-live-features-google-update

Edited by hamluis, 25 April 2018 - 09:09 AM.
Moved from Gen Chat to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for the heads up, John!  As of 4/26/2018, I had difficulties “finding” the new Gmail redesign in my personal use Gmail accounts. This helped me:

newgmail.jpg

To further help getting familiar with the new Gmail resign, have a look at these websites from Google:

New Gmail redesign highlights

Cheat Sheet for G Suite

Top 6 things to know about new Gmail

With new security and intelligent features, the new Gmail means business (emphasis G Suite)

So far for me, the new design will take getting used to, and I'm curious what redesign features of G Suite will be in the personal Gmail. I have the right side task bar with Calendar, Keep and Get Add-ons. To get to  Snooze you have to click on an inbox message. It's a bit tricky accessing the default left sidebar, I have to hover over it to see my labels, or there is the option to click three bars on the upper left to keep it in position. I can't find my contact list (grr.) it's not at the upper left as the standard view! Has anyone else found their contact list in the new redesign?

As of today in my person Gmail, many of the other redesigned features have not rolled out.

What do you think?

Edited by britechguy, 26 April 2018 - 02:23 PM.
External Links corrected

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,427 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:56 PM

I have not used the new Gmail yet. FYI, all your links take me back to this page.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:24 PM

John,

I have no idea what happened with softeyes' prior post, as the actual link text was absolutely correct, but every one but the third one linked back to this topic.  I've never seen this happen before and I doubt it was the result of anything softeyes did.

I have now corrected all of the external links and made them click-through by subject rather than presented "naked."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:00 PM

Oh dear  :(  Let me stand up for myself. All of my website links I had posted (in this thread) were most certainly correct. Before I even signed into BC to add to this topic, I created my post reply in Microsoft Office word and I used the Hyperlink insert function with my website tabs open. When I did sign in, and created my post reply, I did a Preview Post 4-5 times to make certain the layout looked correct (I didn’t want to mess up, and again and get in trouble.) Left discouraged and I'm disappointed. Note to self: don’t forget to save every post reply in a document for these types of unfortunate events.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users