Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I know if new laptop HDD is good?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:01 AM

Hey guys, I bought a new Seagate 2.5" HDD to install in a mac but I am having issues with the mac so I would like to test the drive in windows but don;t have a laptop to swap drives to try to install to it. I have an old desktop pc and also a Startech data transfer cable to which I can connect the laptop HDD to, I tried connecting the drive to that pc but it is not showing in explorer so not sure if this because it's a new drive with nothing on it so how can test this drive with what I have please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:08 AM

It will not show in Explorer as the drive is not partitioned and formatted yet. Seatools for Windows should still see it even when not formatted. Run the short and long tests.

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

You mean run seatools from windows pc with the drive connected via the data transfer cable?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:18 AM

Yes, if this Data Transfer cable is some kind of USB adapter. Seatools will see it as well as Disk Health (GsmartControl) on the Parted Magic disk.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:29 AM

Thx. I am seeing the disk in gsmart control. Ran a shot test which shows no error. Any way I can format it inside PM to make sure explorer can read it?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:34 AM

You can do it using Gparted in Parted Magic. Select the disk in the upper right dropdown box. I don't know what experience you have with Gparted but you need to click the green check mark for any steps to complete. 

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:53 AM

Creating a new partition in Gparted, it's formatting options only shows mac and msdos as formats I can recognize, if I want it to show in both mac and windows for when I am ready to load an OS on it, which one can I choose please?

https://s17.postimg.cc/uoom1nagf/IMAG0012.jpg

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:07 AM

That is for creating a new partition table. MsDos is the one you want. Then select Partition > New Partition.  Format it as Fat32 if you want the drive to be detected by both computers but this is not the optimal file system for a Mac. That should be APFS on a Mac with the latest OS. APFS replaces HFS+. A Mac can also do exFAT but I can't remember if Gparted supports that file system.

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/file-system-formats-available-in-disk-utility-dsku19ed921c/mac

Edit: And I don't think a MAC supports FAT32 or ExFat for booting the Mac OS.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 April 2018 - 10:08 AM.

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:13 AM

So I choose the "mac" option from the drop down list then since most likely I will use in a mac?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:19 AM

Yes, but if you have a Mac OS install disk it should automatically do the partitioning and formatting during the install and I don't believe Gparted supports the APFS file system if the lastest Mac OS is being installed. If you are doing this for a Mac this thread should be in the Mac forum. 

https://gparted.org/features.php

#11 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:25 AM

So I will leave as msdos then. When put in a mac I can choose the Journaled option in the DU

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

Are you going to use this drive as a boot drive or as an extra drive for a MAC?. If this is a data drive shouldn't the MAC OS DU detect the drive and give you the ability to format it?

#13 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

I will be using it to replace the smaller drive in a mac so yes I can format it in the DU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users