Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External 56k Serial Modem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:34 PM

Hello all,

First, a little history. I've recently dual-booted Ubuntu/Linux with my Window's XP, made new partitions, etc. My internal winmodem was not supported by Linux, no drivers available. It was suggested that I purchase an external 56k serial modem as I'm on dial-up if I wanted to use the Internet. DSL and broadband cable are not available in this rural mountain area at this time. I have a 2 year old Compaq Presario desktop, 80 GB, 512 RAM with XP Home.

I just purchased a Zoom #3048 External 56k Serial Modem that advertises to be compatible with just about everything in life, including Linux/Unix. I installed it per the manual. It just kept shutting Window's down before it had a chance to even boot completely.

I called Zoom Tech Support. He verified that the new modem wasn't going to play nice with 'my' Windows. My options were to take the modem back to Staples, try a beta scaled down version of their driver - or try removing my internal winmodem and reinstalling the Zoom. Well, I did the latter, no difference, still brought Window's to it's knees. I can't see using a bare bones driver for a unit I payed $75 for, especially since I would not get the "Modem on Hold" and other features.

I even tried installing it directly to Ubuntu; no luck there, either. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here and what options I might have? I'm pretty new to modems, so please be patient with me. Thanks.

Regards,

Eagle7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:27 PM

Since your internal modem works with Windows and your external modem works with Linux, set the internal one as default in dialup properties for Windows and the external one for Linux.

How do you connect the external modem to the computer? USB? or ?

Edited by Enthusiast, 06 October 2006 - 11:27 PM.

#3 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:15 AM

Actually, I can't yet get the modem to install with Ubuntu. I got this error message when
I double clicked on setup.exe - "couldn't display /media/cdrom0/setup.exe".

Since I can't get high speed here, I opted for a Serial External 56k Modem by Zoom. I'm thinking maybe I should call HP, after remembering a recent conversation w/them when I inquired about using a different internal modem since mine wasn't supported by any Linux drivers. They informed me that I wouldn't be able to switch to a different modem due to compatability issues. You don't suppose this would be a similar issue with this external modem, do you?

I'm hearing from folks on the Ubuntu forum that trying to get downloads and updates for Ubuntu via dial-up is excruciatingly painful due to slowness. My local phone company says "someone will have to die, move or cancel their DSL service before I can get it". Geez.

I'm kinda at a loss here. Any help would sure be appreciated.

Regards,

Eagle7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users