Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My desktop is not letting me change my printing from monochrome to color

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ledfan

ledfan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:50 PM

Hey I have a Windows 10 Home Edition desktop PC Version 1709

I just recently replaced my printer with an HP OfficeJet 4650. The installation seemed relatively easy and since the first thing I printed was in greyscale I didn't notice any problems. However I am now attempting to print a colored picture and it's giving me error messages saying color printing conflicts with other printer settings, and when I try to open up the printer settings through devices and hardware it gives me this weird window that I've never seen before and doesn't even mention color versus greyscale as an option to toggle between.(Link to small screenshot album documenting these issues: https://imgur.com/a/Do0Oa5f)

I have restarted my desktop and made sure both PC and printer drivers were up to date, along with the printer's firmware.

My research on HP's and Microsoft's sites hasn't come up with anything fruitful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:06 PM

On the tab for paper quality, click on Advanced, on the following page see if Print in greyscale is On or Off.

#3 ledfan

ledfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:08 PM

There's no such option the only options that begins "Print In" Ends in "Max DPI" =/

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:19 PM

Go to HP's support Assistant https://support.hp.com/us-en

Let it find your product

It will probably recommend reinstalling your product: chances are it will uninstall your product and reinstall it.

#5 ledfan

ledfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:31 AM

Having posted this question on multiple boards that seems to be the consensus, I managed to find a workaround by printing from my phone instead though so I haven't been motivated enough to try it yet, lol. Thank you for the reply and advice though.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:29 AM

Having posted this question on multiple boards that seems to be the consensus, I managed to find a workaround by printing from my phone instead though so I haven't been motivated enough to try it yet, lol. Thank you for the reply and advice though.

Thank you for your answer. I know exactly what you mean. I can vouch from experience when I've helped quite a few people to do so at the senior center where I volunteer.

Edited by cmptrgy, 25 April 2018 - 11:32 AM.

#7 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:52 PM

On first connecting my HP PhotoSmart 6525 (now quite some time ago, it's not exactly the latest model), there was a setup routine that involved connecting to HP and "installing" the printer.  Since then there have been several automatic updates of the software installed on the computer.  One of the several icons installed on my desktop during that procedure is a program called simply by the name of the printer (in this case, "HP PhotoSmart 6520 series.exe").  The icon is a picture of the printer.  Activating that program gives me full control over the printer, including things that cannot necessarily be done from the printer's own front panel.  Using this program seems to give me full control over the printing process, as well as printer information such as ink levels.  In fact I now hardly ever have to touch the printer (other than to load paper, insert items to be scanned or copied, or replace ink cartridges) - nearly everything can be done from the computer desktop.  I can scan images or documents (b/w or color, my choice), print (specifying what photo paper to use, with a very wide range of choices) and so on.  Printer maintenance, printing test pages, choice of print format, photo quality, etc. etc. etc. are all there in one place.  There are several other HP icons on the desktop but I have never needed to use any of the others.

So it might just be necessary to complete installation of the printer.  That does involve downloading and installing a bunch of stuff from the HP Web site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users