Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with new replacement battery

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SteppinInASlideZone

SteppinInASlideZone

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:39 PM

Howdy.

I own a 2017 Razer Blade Stealth.  A week or two ago, the keyboard starting bulging, and when I opened up the case, I found that the battery had puffed out.  I removed the original battery, and purchased a new one.  I installed it today, and encountered a problem.

The battery seems to be functional on a hardware level - when I unplug the laptop from the wall, the computer doesn't die, so obviously the battery is holding some charge and delivering it to the machine.  However, the battery symbol is completely messed up.  It appears to be totally empty.  When I expand it, however, it says the battery is totally full.  Additionally, when I unplug the laptop, the red "Low battery" indicator light comes on (even though its been charging for hours).  

Do you think this is because of a faulty battery, or does it need to be re-calibrated somehow?  I have a month to exchange the battery for a new one if need be.

Edit:  I tried unplugging the new battery and then replugging it, and now the laptop doesn't even recognize there is a battery there (although it still works fine unplugged from the wall).  Is it possible the battery connector is faulty so it can power the machine but can't send information like its charge status?

Edit2: I've also attached a picture of the connector cable for the battery - it has a weird brown fold in it that i haven't seen in other batteries. I don't know if that's a fault or some batteries are like that.

Attached Files

Edited by SteppinInASlideZone, 24 April 2018 - 09:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:28 AM

There is a strong possibility that the failed battery has also caused some failure in the charging circuit.

#3 SteppinInASlideZone

SteppinInASlideZone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:11 AM

There is a strong possibility that the failed battery has also caused some failure in the charging circuit.

Oof.  Do you think this is something I could fix, or would I likely have to send it into the manufacturer?

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:08 PM

Some units have a small circuit board associated with the charging jack, if so, that's replaceable.  If the jack connects directly to the main board, it would be difficult to service.  Send it to the manufacturer.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:26 AM

Did you buy a genuine Razer battery or somebody's knockoff.  Laptop batteries have their own computer chip and many laptops do weird things with third party batteries.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 873 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:55 PM

Did you buy a genuine Razer battery or somebody's knockoff.  Laptop batteries have their own computer chip and many laptops do weird things with third party batteries.

yes, you should always purchase an OEM replacement. never a cheap generic.  and that's what it sounds like with your problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users