Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM BSoD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gmrush04

gmrush04

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:56 PM

Currently, I have a 2TB FireCuda drive from SeaGate, that, when ever it is plugged in, whether it be on boot, or plugged in while Windows is running, the system will either reach a certain point in the Windows boot process and BSoD with a NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM error, or, remain active for about 5 seconds before BSoD'ing with the same error. I have tried numerous techniques, including clean reinstalls and flashing the BIOS. The drive worked fine 2 weeks ago, before I replaced some parts and installed Win10 again. What gives?

Current Setup:

-------------------

I7-7700K

16 GB DDR4 2133MHz GSkill RAM

GIGABYTE B250-DS3H Mobo

NVIDIA 1070 TI

Corsair 600W PSU

Cooler Master Case

1x SeaGate BarraCuda 2.5 In 500GB drive (C:)

1x WD Blue 3.5 In 1TB drive (D:)

1x SeaGate FireCuda 3.5 In 2TB drive (E:) <- NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM error origin

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 25 April 2018 - 07:33 AM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:10 PM

A drive can fail at any time. Download and run Seatools for Windows. Do the short test. If it passes do the long test.

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

#3 gmrush04

gmrush04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:07 AM

I've tried SeaTools before, but I can't scan the drive because the system will not stay up when the drive is plugged in, therefore I cannot scan the drive.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:32 AM

With clear signs that the drive may be failing...I would attach the drive to another system temporarily...to confirm that the drive itself is the problem.

I would also disconnect the drive and see if the system functions normally.

Louis

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:53 AM

You can try this test: disconnect all the power plugs to the HDDs in question; get any Linux distro that runs from the DVD drive, or even Memtest 86+ and boot from it.  If you still get the same crash, the problem may not be the drives but somewhere else. If you do not crash but the program opens and runs smoothly from the DVD, then get Seatools for DOS, and then plug in each drive individually (leaving the others disconnected) and try to test 1X1 that way. Seatools for DOS by-passes the HDD and runs virtual, making it very powerful for testing drives that crash the system.

[EDIT: spelling and syntax]

Edited by ranchhand_, 25 April 2018 - 07:59 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 gmrush04

gmrush04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:30 PM

Thank you for the quick replies. I will use SeaTools for DOS and get update you guys on the situation.

Edited by gmrush04, 25 April 2018 - 06:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users