Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee Update Turned Off my Firewall?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spad27

spad27

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:26 PM

Hi forums!

I just wanted to know if anyone could help me out- I'm not too good at all with tech. So last night McAfee asked me to restart my computer to install its update and when I restarted it, I found my firewalls turned off. I use windows defender along with McAfee (the paid subscription kind). Windows started to block the programs on my computer even though they're legit and I hardly go on anything other than gmail, Reddit, tumblr, YouTube, etc on my browser so idk if it has something to do with that. I had to start up the firewall on my own after that.

As of now, I am doing a complete reset of it (the clean drive reset one) but want to know if that was necessary to begin with? Is that part of the update/ does it mean anything bad? I'm overall an anxious person so any reassurance would be nice.

Thanks, hope you have a good day

Edited by spad27, 24 April 2018 - 06:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spad27

spad27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:31 PM

^^^

Edited by spad27, 24 April 2018 - 06:34 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:41 PM

Are you using Windows 10? Are you using McAfee Internet Security?

Windows Defender in Windows 10 Anniversary update introduced Limited Periodic Scanning which allows you to also use a third party anti-virus program as your primary protection. Starting with Windows 10 Creators Update, Windows Defender is called Windows Defender Antivirus and Microsoft has said it operates in different modes depending on whether it detects other anti-virus products or if you are using Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection (ATP).

When using a third party anti-virus solution not enrolled in Windows Defender ATP, the state of Windows Defender is Automatic disabled mode. Organizations enrolled in Windows Defender ATP using a third party anti-virus solution, the state of Windows Defender is Passive mode as explained in Windows Defender Antivirus compatibility.

Anti-virus software which includes a Firewall are typically called a Security suite (package). Vendor specific suites allow their programs to manage Windows Security Center & Firewall by default so it has complete control in order to prevent conflicts and duplicate warnings. This management action is normally taken during installation and many users are unaware of this fact.

Check your anti-virus settings or read the vendor's user guide for information about Security Center Management.

BTW...Internet Security Suites with a Firewall component are unnecessary since the Windows built-in Firewall is sufficient and provides adequate protection. Further, many folks also use a router which is essentially a hardware firewall.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 spad27

spad27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:52 PM

Yes, I am using windows 10 and both Defender and Mcafee were active before this update, it just worried me because both turned off. Thank you for your reply! It was very through and informative!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:10 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif