Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Auto update failing on some items.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:31 PM

I don't use my W10 Machines much as they are too much like hard work!

Today I've fired up my Laptop which I've not used for about 3/4 months and was eventually prompted to allow windows to update, ...Heart sinks below floor level just knowing that this means problems!

Sure enough, three have failed to install.

I've Shut down and after 30 minutes restarted and a further two updates have downloaded and successfully installed.

This still leaves these three original updates that failed:-

2018-01 security update for Flash Player for W10 Ver.1709 x64 (KB4056887)

Failed on 24/4 (0x80246013)

U/d for W10 Ver. 1709 (KB4058043)

Failed on 24/4 (0x80246013)

2017-12 Cum. U/d for W10 Ver. 1709 (KB4054517)

Failed on 24/4 (0x80240034)

In true Windows style the offered "Help" suggests first that your updates might fail if you are on a "metered" Internet connection, ...what ever that is!

Mine is an FTTC unlimited connection, so I doubt that's the problem.

The "Help" topic also suggests it is necessary to be connected to the internet, and if these pieces of advice don't help Then try manually installing the item!!!

No instruction on how that might be achieved!!

It's precisely these "helpful" suggestions which are preventing me from using either of my Windows 10 Machines, and all I can say is "Thank God for Imacri" without who's help and support I would have to resign from the information technology scene entirely. It is only with her excellent and ever present assistance that I continue to stagger along using the old dog Vista!

...At least in Vista, I know where things are and how to achieve the tasks which seem impossible in Windows 10

Can anyone advise me how to install these failed updates and what might be causing them to fail and not be automatically re-tried as was the case with Good Old Vista?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:10 PM

Restart your system and try again.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:09 PM

Restart your system and try again.

Indeed.  It has not been unusual for specific individual Windows Updates to fail on the first try (and sometimes several tries) since there has been a Windows.  Heaven only knows what causes this as there seems to be no easily identified rhyme or reason.  I have known some to fail because an earlier update, which the later one(s) depend upon having previously succeeded, didn't - the domino effect.

It's also not a good idea to keep Windows 10 systems "in mothballs" even if you're not actively using them on a daily basis.  Firing them up once very week to two weeks to allow updates to apply as they roll out is a very good idea.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for replying but as I have already mentioned, I shut down after the first failure and waited 30 minutes before re-booting .

​All that achieved was two further updates were downloaded and successfully installed.

​Those which previously failed were ignored.

​on another tack, I am seeing three strange characters generated each time I press return, not sure if they will actually show on the post but the first is a lower case "a" with a circumflex over it, the second is the Euro symbol and the third is a left pointing arrow!

​

​

​

​

​Hmm! It seems it does print

​WTF is wrong here?

​

​Just run the "Windows Update Trouble Shooter", another waste of time!

​It reports a possible Database corruption and a corrupted update tool.

Hey! those auto generated symbols have stopped appearing!!

​ Oh Sh1t they're back!

​anyway, the trouble shooter professes to have corrected both the items found, but it's made not a blind bit of difference.

​

​any ideas??

Edited by six-h, 24 April 2018 - 07:08 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:07 PM

Well, what Version and Build of Windows 10 are you running?  If you don't know, hit the Windows Key, immediately start typing winver, than hit enter.

You could possibly be back before Version 1709, and if that's the case I'd immediately be doing an update to the latest version of Windows 10:

Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file

By the way, those weird characters are a bug of some sort in the forums software.  I had them the other day, too, and someone else posted about them the other day.  Once I cleared browser cache they ceased.

Edited by britechguy, 24 April 2018 - 08:08 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:02 PM

Thanks britechguy, thought my dratted Windows 10 was disintegrating!
Seems the bug's not affecting my iPad.
My Version is 1709 as mentioned in each of the "fail" reports listed in my first post.
3am here so machine already shut down, I was just having a final check in before getting some Z's!
Just can't understand why it's not possible to force the re-download and install of failed updates if Auto Update ignores them.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:40 PM

What you don't seem to understand is if an update fails one of two things will happen:

1.  Windows Update will eventually try to download and install it again, if necessary.  It's not always necessary as not all updates are critical (which is no different than in the past.  See this example, which happened to do all three tries, the first two of which failed, on the same day.  There can sometimes be days between attempts:

update_hist_w_succ_retry.jpg 

2.  For non-critical updates Windows Update will usually wait until the next cumulative update, which includes whatever was in the update that failed (and that includes prior cumulative updates, see my screenshot of the Update History taken from the computer I'm writing to you from about 2 minutes ago):

update_hist_w_failure.jpg

If you simply must try to install them yourself, rather than waiting for Windows Update to sort it out (and it generally will, with rare exceptions, and those are usually related to the major feature updates and are increasingly rare) you can always go to the Microsoft Update Catalog, search for the KB number of the update in question, download it and attempt to install it.

Windows 10 is generally, not absolutely always, but generally, pretty good about sorting itself out for "the small updates" even if certain ones fail along the way.  I was never even warned about the examples above and I would have been had they been "important enough" to warrant warning.  I just found them when looking at update history examples to ease your mind.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:40 AM

I said to restart your system not to shut it down it down and start it again. To a computer there is huge difference between restarting and shutting down and then starting all over. I know it might not work but it is worth a try.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:35 AM

To a computer there is huge difference between restarting and shutting down and then starting all over. I know it might not work but it is worth a try.

Which is only true since the advent of Fast Startup (and whatever they called it in Win8).   Prior to that I never, and I mean never, did restarts always preferring a shut down followed by start up sequence.

A Restart is exactly shutting down, fully, and booting up again, the only difference being that the powering up is set by a timer rather than a human finger on a button.

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:34 AM

Regarding "shutdown" and "re-start", I was always taught to do it manually allowing a decent interval between, to avoid any possibility of retained information which might be the cause of any problem.

I am unaware of anything concerning "Fast Start" however selecting "Re-start" didn't change things, I still have three updates that failed and are not being re-tried!

​

​Whilst I accept that non urgent updates can wait until the system decides to "have another go", I am a bit unsettled by this particular update which relates to a security problem with Adobe Flash Player, so I would like to patch the hole if at all possible without major surgery.

My laptop was originally supplied with Win 8 which was updated to 8.1 and I was then offered the "Win 10 Home"  download.

All went well and the only niggle was that the updated driver for the trackpad didn't work so I've had to re install the original driver after that everything was ticketty boo.

I just have to uninstall the new driver and re install the old one each time there is a Major Update, ...like the Spring and the Fall updates; despite having instructed the system to NEVER install Hardware Driver updates!!

I have today followed the link which formed part of the "Failed" notification which took me here

which seems to be related to the history of my machine, as it refers to an historic update - 2919355 here however, I'm not sure if I should attempt to install the last item for wIN 8.1 x64.

what does the team think?

The other two updates linked below, are I presume not important despite originating in December 2017:-

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4058043/microsoft-store-reliability-improvements-for-windows-10-version-1709-d

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4054517/windows-10-update-kb4054517

​

​Still extremely confused, and I haven't even tried to boot up my other machine which is an Intel NUC running Win10 Pro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users