Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What hardware component could be causing my PC to hard freeze?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sharp461

sharp461

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:25 PM

I know its a more complicated question and it can be any number of things but from experience with PCs over the last 15 or so years there are usually certain signs that can sometimes point to a hardware problem.

So for my specific problem, my computer has done a hard freeze three times so far, over a span of 4 weeks though so it s not really common. Both times I was playing a game, and by hard freeze I mean the screen freezes, audio stops, and no keyboard or mouse responds (like no lights turn on or off), so a reboot is required. From my experience this sounds like it could be a MB or CPU issue as video card or other component issues usually crash and I get a bluescreen or maybe a reboot. The last time Ive had a hard freeze was 6 years ago and it was a faulty CPU when I newly built my PC.

So my question to you guys is what hardware part could be capable of producing a hard freeze like mine? Some sites suggest memory (ran memtest86 but it "finished" at 2 passes, so will run another one later) but all memory problems I have experienced resulted in a bluescreen or crash, not a hard freeze. A PSU problem I would assume is also a crash but I only dealt with a blowout and shutdowns. Video card problems seem to crash or possibly freeze too, but not a hard freeze from what I personally have seen, could be wrong though. Also can a hard drive cause a hard freeze?

Also I have monitored temps and although the GPU could be lower, it is only reaching like 70-75, with my CPU stable around 38/39 (yay liquid cool!)

Specs:

Win 10 Pro 64 -

Nvidia gtx 960 -

16 GB RAM -

AMD 8150 CPU -

ASUS sabertooth fx MB -

750W PSU -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:56 PM

I would give the computer a good cleaning with some compressed air.

Examine the motherboard and graphics card for bloated / swollen capacitors.

Pull the memory out and reinstall making sure each stick is properly seated.

Unplug all power cables and data cables and reconnect them making sure they are properly seated.

Make certain all fans are spinning freely.

If a known good power supply is available swap it out to eliminate a bad power supply.

I would also run a diagnostic test on your hard drive as a failing hard drive can cause lockups.

I would make certain the right graphics card driver is installed as that can sometimes cause lockups.

If you are running with an overclocked computer I would recommend going into bios and setting bios to default settings.

Edited by The-Toolman, 24 April 2018 - 03:14 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 sharp461

sharp461
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:24 PM

Fans are working, not overclocked, and definitely right graphics drivers. I don't have another power supply but I have a PSU tester I could try, but wouldn't a failing PSU cause a shutdown? Mine stays on just frozen.

When I get home I'll clean out with air and check capacitors and reseat RAM (which atm is being checked with memtest86+, so far 2 passes no errors). I ran one check disk on C but not my other drive, there a better tool for checking disks?

I'd rather have BSODs, at least then I could have some sort of info to check what happened, hard freezing is annoying.

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,441 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:50 PM

I don't have another power supply but I have a PSU tester I could try, but wouldn't a failing PSU cause a shutdown? Mine stays on just frozen.

Power supplies generally cause restarts or just don't work however the power supply needs to be eliminated.

Unfortunately a power supply tester only tests for voltage and doesn't test the power supply under load and if the power supply is failing it will fail when placed / tested under load.

I ran one check disk on C but not my other drive, there a better tool for checking disks?

Go to the manufacturer of your hard drives and download the diagnostic tools they offer to test their drives.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 sharp461

sharp461
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:53 PM

OK when I get home and enough passes on my ram is done I'll check the HDD manufacturer's site as well as reseat the ram and clean out with air. Oh I also forgot to mention I was monitoring my temps before my last freeze and my CPU was only around 35 and GPU was 67, so at least those weren't overheating.

Edited by sharp461, 24 April 2018 - 03:54 PM.

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,441 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:05 PM

Those temps are good imo.

Are the games you are playing when the freeze up occurs are they online games or are they games you have installed on your computer.

#7 sharp461

sharp461
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:36 PM

The games are installed but I play them online. Sea of Thieves is one game where it froze a month ago, and the recent game I'm playing is Vermintide 2.

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,441 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:14 PM

The games are installed but I play them online. Sea of Thieves is one game where it froze a month ago, and the recent game I'm playing is Vermintide 2.

May have something to do with the online gaming if this is the only time when this problem occurs.

#9 sharp461

sharp461
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:55 PM

I was thinking that too, but couldn't think of what causes a hard freeze when playing a game. I know CPU could, while video card or ram is usually a bsod. Either way, yeah I've only froze during the game.

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,441 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:33 AM

yeah I've only froze during the game.

You may want to check on some gaming websites and see if this may be a problem with these particular games it's a possibility.

#11 sharp461

sharp461
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

Yeah I will check out if the game is the cause. I completely dismissed it because it froze in two different games but they are both new and I see a lot of crashes in general, just the game crashing though.

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,441 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:32 PM

Not saying that the games or gaming website is causing the freezing only a possibility.

If you what to really test your computer for stability then run a benchmark test and if it doesn't fail after 60 minutes of running the benchmark test than I would have to investigate the games or gaming website.

You have make the decision to run the benchmark test as any weak components have a possibility of failure so this decision to do this is totally up to you.

#13 sharp461

sharp461
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:41 PM

What benchmark would you recommend? When I have time I may run it but not sure what a good one is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users