Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC broke when restarting windows and now about to upgrade.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Blue4D4M

Blue4D4M

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:16 AM

Hi i was just wondering if windows would affect new hardware and

what will happen when the new hardware booted up for the first time

if when windows was last booted up it was about to restart

P.S. I think my bios on my old motherboard got killed by me being to impatient

as I holded down the physical reset button on my case for 10 seconds. I know I am stupid.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:27 PM

Under normal circumstances, even with a "hard shutdown" (that is, holding in the power button until the power cuts off, creating the equivalent situation that a power outage would) Windows tends to recover gracefully.

It is really impossible to state anything definitively without knowing exactly what was occurring before the shutdown and exactly how the shutdown was caused.  Even if those things are known it's not 100% predictable.

Your best bet is just to fire it up and see what happens.  Don't be in any rush if Windows goes into a repair state, as it can take a while.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:04 AM

bios on my old motherboard got killed by me being to impatient as I holded down the physical reset button

That will not "kill" a BIOS. It may possibly corrupt some settings, but all you do is reset the BIOS back to default and you are up and running again.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Blue4D4M

Blue4D4M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

bios on my old motherboard got killed by me being to impatient as I holded down the physical reset button

That will not "kill" a BIOS. It may possibly corrupt some settings, but all you do is reset the BIOS back to default and you are up and running again.

I know it sounds that it wouldnt but my pc is in a boot loop and I have tried resetting the bios by doing the psu thing where you turn it off then turn it on then turn on the pc then turn off the psu and turn it back on again but nothing works so I assumed I ruined the bios.

Thanks anyway.

Edited by Blue4D4M, 25 April 2018 - 10:35 AM.

#5 Blue4D4M

Blue4D4M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:40 AM

Under normal circumstances, even with a "hard shutdown" (that is, holding in the power button until the power cuts off, creating the equivalent situation that a power outage would) Windows tends to recover gracefully.

It is really impossible to state anything definitively without knowing exactly what was occurring before the shutdown and exactly how the shutdown was caused.  Even if those things are known it's not 100% predictable.

Your best bet is just to fire it up and see what happens.  Don't be in any rush if Windows goes into a repair state, as it can take a while.

Thanks but I think I might just make a bootable usb with windows 10 on as I kind of activated windows before with some software. Im only going to do that as I have a ssd with windows on and a hdd with all my games and stuff on.

#6 Blue4D4M

Blue4D4M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:41 AM

Ill tell you what happens. Thanks a lot though.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

I have tried resetting the bios by doing the psu thing where you turn it off then turn it on then turn on the pc then turn off the psu

That is not the way to reset the BIOS. All that does is restart the computer, nothing else. Google "reset the BIOS" and you will get a ton of information.

my pc is in a boot loop

Then you have a system corruption; first suspect would be your MBR (master boot record) that has corrupted and cannot finish the boot into Windows. The first thing to do is run Last Known Good Configuration by tapping one of your F keys on boot and selecting it from the screen that appears. If no joy then boot from System Restore and pick a date immediately before this problem started happening.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 Blue4D4M

Blue4D4M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:44 PM

I have tried resetting the bios by doing the psu thing where you turn it off then turn it on then turn on the pc then turn off the psu

That is not the way to reset the BIOS. All that does is restart the computer, nothing else. Google "reset the BIOS" and you will get a ton of information.

my pc is in a boot loop

cannot finish the boot into Windows.
I dont know if what you said will work as my pc does not show any sign of being able to boot in to windows let alone into the bios before it turns off. Sorry that I didnt mention that.

Edited by Blue4D4M, 25 April 2018 - 03:44 PM.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:39 PM

Ok, let's back up and review. Are you saying that when you boot the computer you do not get the POST screen? Just a black screen? No system beep on power-up? The computer just sits and does nothing? Or...does it simply power down and shut off?

Edited by ranchhand_, 25 April 2018 - 04:41 PM.

#10 Blue4D4M

Blue4D4M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:55 PM

When I turn on my PC the internal speaker beeps, like it normally did when I was able to boot into windows. But it just boots into the "BIOS" where it just shows the name of the BIOS and nothing else. Then it turns off and starts again. Also sorry about this I should also mention something else. When this problem first occurred I went on forums to try and find if anyone had the same problem as me and they did. But it looked like there was no way to fix it unless they sent their motherboard back to Gigabyte (I have a Gigabyte motherboard). But when they got it back they said that Gigabyte wasn't able to find any error but they must have as their PC wouldn't go into a boot loop. So because of that I don't know if anything is going to work. Which I don't care about really as I was going to upgrade my PC anyway and now I have ordered everything all I got to do is wait a bit longer.

Edited by Blue4D4M, 26 April 2018 - 12:27 AM.

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:15 AM

Ok, well if you don't care and are building a new computer then we won't waste any more time on it.

#12 Blue4D4M

Blue4D4M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users