Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a foolproof way to forward those scam emails?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tommyzulu

tommyzulu

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:29 AM

I get quite a lot of email purporting to be from all types of organisations, from Paypal to banks, from government departments to fake offers... But almost invariably one cannot report these to the organisations concerned.

Most large organisations have emails set up for the purpose, like "spoof@" or "phishing@" but almost always when I try to forward them, I get an error message, a 550 error code or similar.

(I use Thunderbird as my email client on a Windows10 computer).

Has anyone a FOOLPROOF way of fowarding them?

(Mostly if you send an email to the organisations in question telling them of the problem you do not even get a reply!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:57 AM

The Organizations { Legit Ones } are`nt interested in more Spam if you were able to forward them on to them.

What are they going to do ? waste time chasing spammers that could be anywhere and continually change emails or phone Nos.

I would assume they are Blocking them anyway from known lists etc....but thats only my interpretation.

I just add them to my Spam Box { Outlook Express / Yahoo / Gmail }, and never open them , and eventually they will stop or peeter out ..mine have.  

And i love the Telephone calls because i can have some fun with them and lead them on for awhile until they hangup or abuse me ....lol.

They are all waiting for a response from gullible people for a response ! ....so be on your gaurd always and if it looks suss....delete it.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:13 AM

Actually, I have to disagree with you, Havachat, that organizations are not interested in knowing who's trying to perpetrate scams using their identities.

If nothing else, many will make announcements on their help pages regarding "known scams" that are currently in circulation using them as mechanisms.

I only report for phishing, myself, as spoofing has become so common and is virtually impossible to contain at all.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users