Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Activation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ramsey76

ramsey76

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:45 PM

I recently gave my parents one of my older PCs. The PC had Windows ME. I purchased the XP upgrade disk and installed it with no problem. One of the requirements of the install is that the new windows program needed to be activated in 30 days. I was curious on what happens if I do not activate the program in 30 days.

Does windows stop running or does look like a bootleg program to microsoft ?

Thanks

T

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:56 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307890

Activation is required in 30 days from the first day that you start Windows XP. If you want to activate Windows on a day that is later than the day that you install it, a Windows Activation icon appears in the notification area. This icon periodically displays notifications to remind you about how much time remains before you must activate. After the 30 days has expired, you must activate Windows to continue using Windows.

JC

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:04 PM

If you do not activate the Windows installation it shuts down and the only option it will then allow you to do is activate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users