Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

E-Mail Program Lacks 'Wow' Factor

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:52 PM

NEW YORK (AP) - The Firefox browser has become an instant sensation, in just a few weeks gaining impressively against Microsoft Corp.'s market-leading but malware-beleaguered Internet Explorer. Security experts worried about IE's flaws and vulnerabilities have recommended Firefox. Others, myself included, were impressed by its innovative features. The team that put Firefox together, Mozilla Foundation, now offers a free standalone e-mail application, called Thunderbird. But this time, the case for switching from Microsoft products is less compelling. I just can't see too many people abandoning Microsoft's Outlook, if they use it. Outlook is the gold standard in e-mail programs, despite its 109.00 USD list price. Among other things, Thunderbird lacks a calendar application, and its tools for sorting your incoming messages are rather rudimentary. If you're happy to sacrifice features for something free, anyone running a Windows operating system already has Outlook Express.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:37 PM

I myself have never tried Thunderbird. But I did have Outlook Express. Never used it but maybe a couple of times. To put it simply. I just did not care for it. I found it to be a pain. End of story.
Posted Image

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:46 PM

I like Outlook Express.

Scarlett, if you don't use OE do you take advantage of your ISP's email?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 03:07 PM

No I do not. I guess I am going to get a lecture concerning security now. :thumbsup: Please do not be to hard on me.
Posted Image

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 03:09 PM

I use Mozilla, which has both a browser and an POP client; both are at least as featured as Firefox and Thunderbird, and in many cases Mozilla has more that the slimer versions. And many of the extensions for either will work in Mozilla.
Unless you are intereded in RSS feeds, I rather agree with the author's assessment that there is no great reason to change from either OExpress or from Outlook. Give the Mozilla folks another six months, and the story may be different!
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 03:33 PM

I use incredimail and now for 2 weeks or so thunderbird too! But thunderbird seems to me to be not as good as even incredimail. But I do like it but at the moment its nothing fancy. I belive they will get better!

Firefox is great! Have you seend the estimated downloads lately? Its amazing! I hope it flat out kills Internet Exploder!

Go firefox!

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:02 PM

No lectures from me. Just curious.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 11:00 PM

I still use the Email/News clients built into Netscape 4.79. They are straight-forward and get the job done without alot of bells and whistles. Outlook and Outlook express I avoid, although we are stuck with Outlook at work.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2004 - 10:44 AM

Firebird went over the 11 million mark!!!!!! Through donations, a two-page ad appeared in the NYT a couple of days ago. It is amazing what a few people can do to change the internet for the better.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 17 December 2004 - 01:40 PM

KoanYorel there is a calendar extension for TB just as there is for FF. The point of these two programs is that you only load what you need/want by using extensions to beef them up.

#11 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 17 December 2004 - 03:32 PM

Hi Bluie,

The post starting off this thread is a quote from the original article and does not contain any comment by me. It is all commentary by the author noted.

But thanks for pointing out the FF Calendar for the edification of others.

regards
~Koan

(Comment: I do use FF along with several other browsers as needed.)

:thumbsup:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#12 Pluto

Pluto

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 17 December 2004 - 03:49 PM

Firefox is a first approach to understandment that there *is* an alternative to Microsoft. Should it be the browser, but not only.
Outlook and little brother OExpress are natively as exposed to illness than Internet Explorer. Coming times will unfortunately gather around Microsoft products more and more evidence of sickness : Microsoft code is unhealthy because Microsoft dialectic is unhealthy. The company says one thing and doees another. This has been going on for years.

So. Of course anyone used to Outlook would find Thunderbird inadequate. But Outlook Express users would be and will be delivered of anxiety within a Thunderbird which is an excellent software, even if it can and will progress. Of couse, also, there is not but Mozilla and Microsoft on the ground. Why always this sort of systematic call to Microsoft?

As would say a friend of mine "Let's put it this way. I'm not telling you what is good and what is bad. I'm only proposing that everyone think freely in order to enable a free choice. Think by yourselves. Compare. And choose"
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users