Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

- What car is right for long distance cruising / road trip?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thriftyarek888

thriftyarek888

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:28 AM

Hi plese give ideas what car you would use if you were to cruise from LA (US) to Japan by road mainly where possible. THat is driving through 3rd world countires like Detroit, Ukraina, China, India, Thailand, where car theft of expensive cars is vast!

Many know that not many cars are capable of such epic road trip without braking down so choose wisely.

My top 5 world be:

1. Merceds C class convertable.

2. SLR

3. Rang Rover Discovery

4. MCLaren 650 s (used)

5. Golf R

thanks

Arek

Smartfit888 every day good exercises!

Current campaign: https://www.gofundme.com/Arek888

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:04 PM

Tesla, but bring an extra battery.  Just out of curiosity, which ocean to you plan on driving over?

Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:59 PM

which ocean to you plan on driving over?......or maybe under  ?

asdfsfsf.jpg

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:35 PM

To continue the laughs, this might do:

panther-watercar-xl.jpg

It's for real, here's the article:

https://mikeshouts.com/watercar-panther-amphibious-vehicle/
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#5 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:49 PM

On a more topic-related note, back in the '60s my uncle and aunt took an epic 3 year road trip in a Mercedes RV, which wasn't the size of today's monsters.
From the US, down to the tip of South America, up the other side, then shipped it to Europe to explore those countries including the Middle East as political threats there were not as dangerous as they are today.

They saved plenty on lodging, and security was better as they were always inside.

They were next thinking about shipping it to Australia but apparently some law existed about having to reverse the steering/driving capabilities on the vehicle, so they passed.

Edit/add:  Were I in your shoes, 4 wheel drive to negotiate 3rd world roads, definitely used/pre owned so as not to instantly attract a thief's eye, thoroughly checked by a good mechanic, and upgrade any insurance you carry to cover contingencies. 

Edited by r.a.d., 24 April 2018 - 09:32 PM.

Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#6 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:17 PM

So ... to not call or attract undesirables ...[[  thieves ]]]... maybe a rodded out rat rod of a Buick RoadMASTER! eh! !?!?!??! 01212_7xfwJnwphhq_600x450.jpg

UPDATE: of course you'd have to have a couple ships of petrol to get around.

2015-11-13_00-42-33.jpg

w/ family ? maybe one of these VACATION cars (Clark [Chevy Chase]seemed to like it)

gal-cars-national-lampoons-vacation-jpg.

Edited by PerspectiveObjective, 25 April 2018 - 03:40 PM.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#7 thriftyarek888

thriftyarek888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:32 AM

The amg 63 C looks amazing!

Smartfit888 every day good exercises!

Current campaign: https://www.gofundme.com/Arek888

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:00 PM

revista.jpg

Edited by The-Toolman, 07 September 2018 - 04:11 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:25 PM

@The-Toolman #8

Just because you and your wife were looking for bikes recently, no need to push your foibles/fancies/fetishes off on the poor innocent OP !  Neat design though.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:43 PM

My other choice 1965 Shelby Cobra.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Cobra

7389028052_f59473f36c_b.jpg

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 08 September 2018 - 02:26 PM

Post #1, Los Angeles in the US to Japan, surely it would mostly be a journey on a ship? Drive the car from where-ever in LA you start to their sea port, onto a ship, then wait, drive off in Japan? The alternative is drive up through Canada to Alaska, but then the roads all end and it's another ship ride to Kamchatka, from which there are barely any (or possibly none at all) roads around to Vladivostok, from which it would be another ship ride to Japan, at which point you might as well have got the ship straight to Japan in the first place. I can't imagine how Ukraine, India or Thailand feature on that route? Although Ukraine and India might feature on some routes if you went from Western Europe to Japan by road, even then Thailand wouldn't as its a long peninsula that you'd only go along if travelling between Australia/Indonesia and the rest of Asia.

All this said, for tough terrain an old model Toyota Land Cruiser/Hilux is often considered a good option, there is I believe a saying in Australia (wonder if Australian users can confirm?) "If you want to go into the desert take a Land Rover Defender, if you want to get out again take a Toyota Land Cruiser". The car show Top Gear did a test many years back where they subjected this car to some very extreme conditions, worse even than would be expected on a multi-thousand mile dirt road trip, and it came out of all of them working.

Edited by rp88, 08 September 2018 - 02:27 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users