Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Precision 390 trying to install Windows 2000 Professional

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:38 PM

Hello,

I have tried numerous times to try to install Windows 2000 Professional on this PC using an IDE and a SATA drive and no luck. I get a bluescreen message which basically indicates that the SATA or IDE cable is bad (The IDE or SATA cable is not bad since I checked it) or cannot find the hard drive storage drivers to load the OS. https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix-stop-0x0000007b-errors-2624109

I also tried to add all of the hard drive mass storage drivers for Windows 2000 on the dell driver site and slip-stream them using NLite and then install Windows 2000 and no luck.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/precision-390/drivers

There is also no jumper on the IDE hard drive when I test it.

Here is the motherboard that I have. 

http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/Dell/Dell_0DN075/2822

Any help would be appreciated. 

Edited by walkfacefirst, 23 April 2018 - 05:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:56 PM

Firstly, I would use a SATA drive. In your BIOS settings make sure you are set to AHCI/RAID mode. Also, the drive must be seen in BIOS before Windows can see the drive.

Download this driver for AHCI/SATA.  This is a 32bit driver. Is your Windows 2000 32bit or 64bit.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=P8KYJ

See the following writeup on using a USB flash drive with the above driver on Windows 2000

http://wp.xin.at/archives/2702

#3 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:24 PM

I created the USB drive that is needed for booting up the driver that you mentioned above. 

I have Windows 2000 Pro on a bootable thumb drive.

Do you believe I can use somehow boot it up both of these drives simultaneously so I do not have to convert Windows 2000 Pro back to a CD?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:18 PM

I think you will have to put 2000 on a CD but it will not hurt anything to try with two USB flash drives. If the computer has a boot menu select the key with the drivers as the first boot device.

#5 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:14 PM

A few questions regarding creating the USB Drive,

1) It says to create a USB drive using the memdisk file, it looks like I need to pick the memdisk.inc but just want to verify.

2) Also when I am getting the USB drive prepped with the command it says to execute, the files get created but are hidden on the USB drive...but if you look at the screenshot that I provided, it looks like that they should be visible, maybe since I am prepping this usb drive on Win 10??

3) When I run the USB drive on the Windows 2000 machine, it keep says kernel error but it recognizes the f6.img and memdisk.inc but then it says kernal error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

I downloaded syslinux 6.0.3. You want memdisk, not memdisk.inc. memdisk is located in the unzipped syslinux folder in bios\memdisk.

I don't have Windows 10 so I can't say why the files would not be visible.

#7 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:55 PM

ok it is progressing, now I am stuck on this issue in the screenshot attached....

In regards to a CD-ROM Driver...

Edit: It is now officially installing using the USB. I had to switch it to ATA mode in the bios to make it work. 

Thanks for your help! Much Appreciated.

Attached Files

Edited by walkfacefirst, 27 April 2018 - 05:45 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:37 PM

Your Welcome, and thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users