Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Explorer will not start on startup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aninkling

aninkling

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:48 PM

This issue is occurring on a Windows 10 1709 desktop.  I can start explorer from the task manager... sometimes. 

I have run all the processes normally recommended:

sfc /scannow  and hit Enter.

In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the commands below and hit Enter:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth 

The CBS file has a whole lot of entries "Primitive installers committed to repair".  Then it has errors that look like this: 

00000cc6 Error: Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory \??\C:\WINDOWS\GameBarPresenceWriter in component Microsoft-Gaming-GameBar-Internal-PresenceWriter, version 10.0.16299.15, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

2018-04-23 15:23:04, Info                  CSI    00000cc7 Warning: Overlap: 1 directory duplicate ownerships detected.
2018-04-23 15:23:04, Info                  CSI    00000cc8@2018/4/23:19:23:04.495 Primitive installers committed for repair
2018-04-23 15:23:04, Info                  CSI    00000cc9 Error: Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory \??\C:\WINDOWS\bcastdvr in component Microsoft-Media-Capture-Internal-BroadcastDVR, version 10.0.16299.248, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

2018-04-23 15:23:04, Info                  CSI    00000cca Warning: Overlap: 1 directory duplicate ownerships detected. 

So, is this a time when I have to reinstall the operating system, or is there a fix?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:28 PM

Hi, after running the dism cmd's it is often necessary to run the sfc cmd again. Please do this and let us know what happens

#3 aninkling

aninkling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:17 AM

The dump in the previous entry was from the sfc after the disms.  I'm going to run chkdsk again... the errors look something like a security drop on the hard drive. 

#4 aninkling

aninkling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:37 PM

chkdsk did nothing. I can't run event viewer to see- get a Microsoft error.  I have some ideas of the problems, but the fixes can be a chore.  So right now I am running explorer.exe from the task manager to get a reasonable environment and I am working on getting all the user data backed up.  I'm thinking I'm chasing a many tailed rat and my solution is to reinstall Windows using an .iso of the latest.  Then reinstall all the user apps.  The computer is new enough that there is significant life left. I know this is a grueling process (use all the apple apps), but I think everything is corrupted and this would provide a clean start.  I can build an install sequence to reinstall everything in an orderly way.   So I'm not going to get to the bottom of the problem. But I think it is related to having both Avast and Zone alarm installed to run concurrently.  An attempt was made to remove Avast, but, from Task Manager, there were services and another module that did not get removed.  But even after I ran the removal tool for Avast in safe mode, the problem has persisted.  

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:46 PM

Hi, go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administatror" an elevated cmd prompt will open. Copy the below cmd and right click anywhere in the cmd prompt window select "paste" the cmd will append to the prompt. Press enter

reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v Shell > 0 & notepad 0

Notepad will open please post the output here.

#6 aninkling

aninkling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

Oops, I didn't write the reply- I though I had added the entire output of the subcategories of Winlogon... I'll do that and come back.  The result of the command above was explorer.exe.  So it is there. I'm wondering about paths being wrong.  BTW, safe mode didn't help any, so it isn't an obvious driver problem.  Do you think it is time to give up and reload the operating system (ugh, lots of Apple stuff to reload)?

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:27 PM

Hi, If you have an errant right click context menu you might experience this sort of problem especially at startup. Download this excellent free util and read all the instructions you can enable or disable context menu items using this util and test, any non MS is the first place to start.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users