Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Vision Syndrome ~ What Is It

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:40 PM

From The Verge (4/20/2018)

The average person stares at various screens for ten hours a day. How does this affect our vision? Are screens causing permanent damage to our eyes? And most importantly, what can we do to improve our experience? In this episode of Gadget Myth-Busting, tech reporter Ashley Carman speaks with ophthalmologists and other experts to find out if - and how much - we're damaging our eyes.

Personally, not only do I feel eye strain, my sleep habits are horrible from spending too much time looking at "various screens!" I'll my best to work on the 20-20-20 Rule.

Are you experiencing any eye discomfort from screens?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:35 PM

No, I am not aware of using a screen causing any eye problems. Admittedly my primary computer is a desktop so I am probably sitting further away from the screen than laptop users. But I do use f.lux which changes the colour balance of the screen depending on the time of day. I noticed recently, when setting up a new laptop for my wife, that Win 10 (1709 update) includes a similar facility although I haven't investigated it. I'll get round to it someday.

The suggestion of resting your eyes away from screens is a good one, but is advice that applies to most repetitive tasks. It may also be that people with some vision deficiencies re more prone to screen induced problems than others.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,436 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:06 PM

I've investigated the blue light computer glasses which filters out the blue light spectrum and supposedly can help to reduce the eye fatigue / eye strain.

I see them on Ebay although figured I would consult my eye doctor first and see what they tell me.

Yeah I'm 3.5 feet away from my computer monitors and also adjust for a softer red tint than blue and keep the back-light of the monitor turned down  to a minimum level instead of bright as hell as some I've seen.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:02 PM

Quickly just Two bytes I mean bits: Yep, not so bright, tone it down, not as bright and the same when building websites; for example, the one mini image for repeat-x background might be a mild toned down pattern or mild/soft/cool colour, same with fonts, just easier on the eyes.  I can't find the study but the very worse one on the eyes was what was in use all the time in certain facilities and that was fire RED FONT on a black screen / black background, which thankfully they don't make or use anymore.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#5 nethgerona

nethgerona

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:51 AM

10 hours of spending time in from of screens is very to everyone I guess and totally with me as well. I was planning to visit a doctor to have an eye check up then I saw this video, I guess don't it anymore. I got the answer to my questions. Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,844 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:53 PM

Decades ago I worked doing some programming and was at a console for extended periods.  The black screen with green letters was incredibly hard on the eyes.  Burning, itching and watering after just one hour periods.  I had to opt for a different display that had an amber display instead of green.  What a difference, untold hours and no symptoms ever returned.  

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:44 PM

I would definitely say that the default font sizes in most if not all operating systems seem small enough to make looking at them painful, I nowadays swear by increasing this size in system settings. Screens in general aren't bad, no worse than printed pages or close work with fiddly objects, but making the details on them too small does hurt my eyes a bit.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:18 AM

rp88 you might have nailed it or say a good part of it because some of those first screens, well I'm fairly certain an older person would absolutely have to have reading glasses to even see the font and what it says

.. and people using them ALL THE TIME(putting the HOURS IN) well I imagine their complaints fell on deaf ears in most operations/airports/dispatch/emergency/etc. etc. etc.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#9 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 704 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:42 PM

With so many glued to their devices now (outside of work necessity), and considering cumulative damage, I can't help but think of the younger people who also subject themselves (and others within proximity) to their boom boxes and cars with amped-up base speakers that shake road surfaces and fillings from anyone's adjacent teeth. 

Occasionally looking at distances and some silence could be prescribed, at the least as a prophylactic for the senses, not to mention one's mind.
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#10 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

Overload

You've hit that nail on the head, hard to read all the news or whatever and then what! ?!?!?!? TV! in the evening! OH MY !, so-- cartoons are best! a bit of levity /sarc my new word for today!

Hmmmm reminds me of an ancient movie ' MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE ' w/ that Emo Estes kid brother of Douglas or Sheen somehow.

Now to swing it back on track/TOPIC,

yes they need an over the counter pill or energy drink like red bull for the eyes, one can and you're good for an all nighter/WEEKENDER movieathon like ' The Wire""or """ Game of Thrones" etc.

edit(S  !!!!) : D needed a bit more of these>>!?!?!?

Edited by PerspectiveObjective, 06 May 2018 - 04:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users