Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup issues with Vista 64; Safe Mode won't work either.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 clubshrimp91

clubshrimp91

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:32 PM

So I powered on my old Vista 64 laptop for the first time in about a week today, and it failed to startup. The last few times I used it (again, like a week ago), I noticed some error messages popping up about Rapport, a driver. This was while I was logged in of course. I can't remember the issue, but I think it had failed to initialize or install or something. I think it may have caused my laptop to fail to start once or twice, but I was always able to push through it by just power cycling. Now, however, my laptop is just failing to start every time, and when loading drivers for Safe Mode, it also fails to start up. My 4 available System Restore points (from early in April) all mention Rapport being installed except for one, which mentions something called Checkpoint. I'm almost 100% sure that this Rapport thing is the root cause, but I don't have any way of getting rid of it (should I even get rid of it?) because I can't access Safe Mode. Moreover, when I restore to the earliest point (April 5th, a day on which Rapport was installed), startup still fails. I'm pretty sure this driver has always been on my laptop, and has never given me trouble before. It's just in the last few weeks that it suddenly started producing errors.

Startup repair "cannot repair this computer automatically" and prompts me to send information about the error. Looking at the problem details, it says this:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2

Problem Signature 01: AutoFailover

Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6001.18000.6.0.6001.18000

Problem Signature 03: 5

Problem Signature 04: 196611

Problem Signature 05: NoRootCause

Problem Signature 06: NoRootCause

Problem Signature 07: 0

Problem Signature 08: 2

Problem Signature 09: WrpRepair

Problem Signature 10: 0

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale D: 1033

Opening a command prompt as an admin through System Recovery Options, which I can access after Startup Repair fails, sfc /scannow won't work, saying that there is a system repair pending and requires a reboot to complete.

My restore points:

• April 8th - Install: Rapport Installed
  • April 6th - Install: Rapport Installed
  • April 6th - System: Scheduled Checkpoint
  • April 5th - Install: Rapport Installed

I've only tried the April 5th, and the April 6th, Checkpoint restore point. Both result in a BSOD - PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Under Technical Information, it reads ***STOP: 0X00000050 (0XFFFFF880223C0010, 0X0000000000000000, 0XFFFFF80001286440, 0X0000000000000000). It doesn't begin a dump of physical memory and I have to power off the laptop.

So would anyone be able to help me? I'm posting this from my other, newer laptop.

P.S. Sorry if I've provided any extraneous information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:37 PM

Opening a command prompt as an admin through System Recovery Options, which I can access after Startup Repair fails, sfc /scannow won't work,

open command prompt and type the following...

chkdsk /f /r

hit enter....if it asks you to dismount the drive say yes....let it complete....it might take an hour or more

#3 clubshrimp91

clubshrimp91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:12 PM

Okay I tried F8 and Last Known Good Configuration, and I managed to get in. I'm currently logged in, but I want to deal with this Rapport thing so it doesn't cause anymore trouble. I've removed the extension in Chrome, and have uninstalled Trusteer Endpoint Protection, an associated program. If the problem I described above persists I'll post again, but if not, then sorry for wasting anyone's time, and also my own writing up that big post!

Edited by clubshrimp91, 23 April 2018 - 01:13 PM.

#4 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:28 PM

It looks like Trusteer no longer supports Vista (http://www.trusteer.com/support/supported-platforms). Checkpoint makes ZoneAlarm.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:04 PM

Install and Run AutoRuns. Do a Search for Trusteer or Rapport. Uncheck any items found. Reboot and if the computer runs fine you can go back and uninstall the items found by highlighting and clicking the red X.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

#6 clubshrimp91

clubshrimp91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:12 PM

It looks like Trusteer no longer supports Vista (http://www.trusteer.com/support/supported-platforms). Checkpoint makes ZoneAlarm.

Ah, that probably has something to do with it. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Install and Run AutoRuns. Do a Search for Trusteer or Rapport. Uncheck any items found. Reboot and if the computer runs fine you can go back and uninstall the items found by highlighting and clicking the red X.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

I've already gotten rid of the offending program and extension, but I think I'll grab this anyway to make sure. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users